your list of recovery gear

dont do alot of sand driving here victoria so most of the times it will be ruts, or mud or snow.
im hoping most of time i will just get my friends to pull m out with there winch on there landcruisers although i would never hear the end of it :neutral:
one day im hoping i can pull out there landcruisers in the subi :lildevil:

dont do alot of sand driving here victoria so most of the times it will be ruts, or mud or snow.
im hoping most of time i will just get my friends to pull m out with there winch on there landcruisers although i would never hear the end of it :neutral:
one day im hoping i can pull out there landcruisers in the subi :lildevil:

Ive pulled out quite a few big 4x4's. A Navara, Hilux(x2), Viva(yes 2WD hold with some tourists in it. lol), Landcruiser, Forester (times 2 I think). I think there was 1 other but I can't remember.

But I have been pulled out by a few cars too but most of the time I get myself out when 4WDing (this has happened 15+ times in the past 24months :lol:)

Ruts are run but they nearly always cause damage to my Subie!

sounds like you should stick to the beach, even then nudge bars seem to come off :iconwink:

Not funny!! :iconwink:

Living in the city and with uni I don't have the time to do much offroading.

Sand is my favourite though for offroading.

With the car modded some more and custom evreything it should go pretty well offroad. All the damage from the ruts too was with less than stock clearance and a completely stock car. I haven't done any ruts since having both the lift and tyres :raspberry: Plus im more experienced so that'll help.

When the foresters engine and gearbox is fixed I will sell the L-series I think and the money from that will pay for most of a new Subaxtreme bullbar so there won't be ripping off anymore bumpers at the front end. Im adding another 2" of lift at the rear too so that should get caught at all either offroad.

Taza

i try in most cases to not enter ruts, usually can be done with the light subi. i havnt done any damage except loss of my heat shield from the exhaust

Lucky you then, yes most of the time it can be avoided but with LSD's, clearance and the tyres is can make life and situations so much easier.

sure does, also low range allows you creep around them. just when muddy things get interesting

Yes the low range is nice but I really want the L-Series low range. I will just have to see how the funds go when I get it rebuilt as being at uni money is in short supply :(

I have very little experience with mud as coming from up north WA its nearly always hot and dry. Even in winter it doesn't get much colder than 15degrees very often.

Now im in Perth and it rains much more though im keen to go for a slide around :raspberry:

i have finally purchased my recovery gear!:biggrin:

i just hope i never have to use them :raspberry:

Depends if you challenge your car :iconwink:
The funny thing with recovery gear, is that when you don't have any, you'll need it :rolleyes: But once you've got it, you won't :cool:
Well not usually anyway :lol:
But the main reason we carry the recovery gear in our Subi's, is so that we can help the big 4wd's get out of trouble :poke:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I have a HD hand winch
ridge ryder 5T snatch (which I've pulled my friends Patrol out of a hole with ;))
various shackles
exhaust jack - which I love
fold up shovel
12v compressor
and my 80 series cruiser with a 5" lift 35" tyres and 12000lbs winch ;)

Hard deck recovery for me.

1. 12 volt compressor & tyre Whooosh!
  2. Heavy duty puncture repair kit.
  3. 12v 100W Amber rotating beacon
  4. Warm hi-vis reflective coat + gloves
  5. Arm band strobe (5 km sight)
  6. Snatch strap and shackles
  7. Bars Leaks and hose clamps
  8. 3M A1 reflective 'calamari' road rings
  9. Water and engine oil
..been stuck at night on freeways with a dead car scared stiff I'm going to be killed by drowsy truck drivers.

I'm ultra hi vis now!

I'm guessing that they're something like the orange (reflective) triangles but are round instead. Hence the "calamari" name :shrug:

27qx.jpg

Thats what my guess would be, but I could also be way off the mark aswell.

Regards
Mr Turbo

My list for travel in remote areas:

General:
Insect repellant
water,
plastic sheet for making water,
fire extinguisher
shovel
axe
bush saw
first aid kit
extra loo paper (you DON'T want to run out of this lol, plus its great for cleaning up oily messes)
Emergency warning triangles
torches & spare batteries or rechargeable
Compass
woollen blanket
tarp

Car:
Safety Flag (Safety Flags, Simpson Desert - NPSA )
Gaffa tape (cloth, very strong & adheres well)
duct tape (stretchy),
electrical tape,
steel coathanger wire,
various cable ties incl extra HD ones,
electrical wire,
fuses (multiple copies of all the fuses you have in your Foz esp 20A),
spare radiator/heater hoses,
spare fan belts,
coolant,
oil,
petrol,
brake fluid,
spare camber bolts + a few other bolts/nuts from suspension (from a wrecker)
jump starter cables
solid 6"x6" block of wood (for jacking on sand, etc)
Radiator sealer
Gas tank patch kit
exhaust repair
quality SS clamps (few large few small) - can be used to replace OEM clamp plus used to clamp broken items in place

complete recovery kit ( + know how to use them)
compressor,
tyre gauge,
5t snatch, distribution & 20m extension straps,
2x3.2t + 1x4.7t bow shackles,
recovery tracks (MaxTrax, TREDs or homemade),
tyre repair kit,
hand winch is a good idea but very heavy & large

tools (common Subie sizes are 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 32mm)
sockets
breaker bar
spanners,
pliers,
wire cutters,
screwdrivers
allens keys (btw, who the hell is Allen & why are they called "keys"! :raz: ),
WD40
stanley knife (not the cheap snap off blade type, they are dangerous)

Cant think of anything else but if I do I'll update this list...

Last edited:
A useful list.

IMO there are too many hoses, or too many that are difficult to fit, to warrant taking a full set.

Self stick silicone tape is an alternative.

As for fabric tape, there's a lot of cheap stuff on the market that's rubbish. Look for the stuff with synthetic fibres.

IMO there are too many hoses, or too many that are difficult to fit, to warrant taking a full set.

Agree, just the main ones: top & bottom radiator hoses & 1m of heater hose

Self stick silicone tape is an alternative.

As for fabric tape, there's a lot of cheap stuff on the market that's rubbish. Look for the stuff with synthetic fibres.

Rescue Tape looks good :monkeydance:

Back