• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Sump Guard Australian Design Rule Compliance (ADR)

hey RB, Got the adr ref numbers? i'd like to take a look

^ You know, Id, that I cannot find the specific ADR, but it is encompassed by the requirement that the functioning of air bags and pre-tensioning seatbelts and their sensors is not compromised in any way.

The SubaXtreme sump guard is designed so that it tears away from the mounting bolts at the front (in particular) in the event of a crash. This allows the front of the car to crumple down during a frontal or offset collision, pushing the passenger cell upwards, while absorbing the impact.

Imagine a situation where the sump guard was made out of (say) 1/2" steel plate, such that it prevented the front of the car behaving in this way. Being braced strongly back to the rear transmission support cross-member, it could force the front of the car to buckle upwards and into the passenger cell. A possibly worse outcome would be that frontal structures of the car would neither crumple down or up - the equivalent of stiff-arming another football player. SWMBO's SH is extremely strong in how the bonnet is anchored during a crash. Much more so than my SG, specially with its aluminium bonnet.

Such strength would necessarily cause the activation of the airbags and pre-tensioning seatbelts to be delayed. Since the timing of these is critical at the level of milli- or micro-seconds, this would not be a good thing.

Anyone who has a SubaXtreme guard in pristine condition will be able to read the relevant ADR it complies with off its compliance plate. Mine no longer has a compliance plate ... :(.

I will keep looking ... :iconwink:

Last edited:
Back