E-locker a Reality.

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
For those who have not been following my build thread, I have now installed an e-locker diff into my SG Forester. The drivetrain specifications are:
- Custom dual range gearbox with shot peened gears
- 1.446 low range
- STI 6 speed front diff
- 4.44 diff gears
- 0.738 5th gear
- DCCD
- 2.5 litre turbo hi torque engine with custom tune
- R180 diff, driveshafts, hubs with twin piston rear callipers
- Harrop Eaton e-locker diff centre

Under consideration for next year are plated front diff and 1.6 billet low range.

With that e-locker and all the other mods, you probably have the most capable Subaru !

Now you just need AT or MT tires...:biggrin:

I don’t have a wharf, so there are no boats to protect when lashed up against one. So what would I do with such tyres? ��

You have built a true gem, Rally! Definitely a top contender for best Subaru.

Hats off to you:rock:

But, yeah, time to ditch those street tires:lildevil::poke::monkeydance::lol:

And test what that locker can do that was not possible before. Otherwise what was point.

And test what that locker can do that was not possible before. Otherwise what was point.

Now there's the thing... What's defeated you/your car in the past Rally? Is there footage of some terrain you weren't able to get over prior to the e-locker (or at least had difficulty), that would be easier now?

We need video!!!

To do the comparison, I will need a car to compare it to. To test just the rear locker, I will need a car with either a dccd or lock up auto.

Now there's the thing... What's defeated you/your car in the past Rally? Is there footage of some terrain you weren't able to get over prior to the e-locker (or at least had difficulty), that would be easier now?

We need video!!!

I found a photo, let's see if I can find a video

Start at 50 seconds [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ZR_pPKEvI"]Watagans Drowning 30th May 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, this is tough!

With less than 10% humidity being very common here, water-related issues rarely cross my mind:lol:

But, yes, those unloaded wheels plus the mud and the water, this is serious.

We can quite accurately predict rainfall. In fact, we have a reliable way of making it rain. Just organise a camping weekend or off road trip, and voila, lots of rain in the very area you plan to go. And if that fails, which it rarely does, I can always wash the car.

I can always wash the car.

:rotfl:
That reminds me, I haven't washed the car since last week's jaunt.
Must do that now.

we have some videos in youtube of forester with welded rear diff. would that be kinda same as that e-locker ? i mean at point it would perform same as welded diff doesnt it ?

Yes, big difference being welded is permanent. Results in tricky handling to say the least, especially in the wet. Will end up snapping axles or something inside the diff. Not something you should do to a road car.

but when you will lock your diff with e locker it will be as welded diff. meaning it can snap CV too.

Firstly, you are more likely to break an axle on high grip surfaces, such as a normal sealed road, especially when turning. You turn off the e-locker on such surfaces. Secondly, I run the bigger R180 axles, which from the factory are far stronger than the R160 axles people have been using in welded diffs

Awesome!! Well done! :monkeydance:

Unfortunately with the tyres you're running you won't be able to get the most out of the locker. Now to get some offroad tyres designed for offroad use & to give better grip in slippery conditions like that boghole. Then you'll be able to give the locker a decent test in some tricky conditions.

Now for the rest of us to get a R160 e-locker...

It need to climb some places and test when couple tires in air thats when those 4x4 uses lockers at least.

Back