Ratbag

Administrator
Car Year
MY06, MY10
Car Model
Forester SG & SH
Transmission
5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Need to get some oil for SWMBO's 2.5L NA Forester. It uses about a litre per 10,000 Kms via a tiny head gasket leak, with no leakage into the coolant.

My preferred oil is Shell Helix Ultra FS 5W-40.

Looked up Super Cheap Auto (SCA, for non-Aussies).

According to their web site, this is the correct oil for my 2006 SG Forester and the 2009 SH turbo Forester, but NOT for the 2009 2.5L NA Forester. For the NA SH, they recommend Shell Helix Ultra FS 5W-30.

Now here's the really odd bit.

Both my SG and her SH have all but identical EJ253 engines in them ...

Interestingly, they do not list Subaru Australia preferred 0W-20 FS as being suitable for either engine ...

I have used a variety of oils over the life of my MY03. It has, for many (~10) years, used about .5 litre between 5000/6000 km/6 monthly oil, and filter, changes with a can of, non Subaru UEC. About the only criterion I follow is using quality oils, mostly 5W-40, generally purchased from whichever motor part store has it on special at the time. Most of the oil loss seems to be from the rear engine seal which responds to a bottle of seal improver each change. I consider the oil actually burnt by the motor as piston ring lubrication. Not much seems burnt as the engine does not smoke and the interior of the exhaust pipe outlet is fairly soot free.
At 375000 kms original engine I can`t complain. I think that regular oil/filter changes using good oil is probably the reason. An expense yes, but cheap insurance.
I add that I am probably a tad neurotic in that I check oil, water etc levels at least weekly.

G'day Ratbag - I reckon it's 12 or 13 years since my last post and I still have the same vehicle as back then - she's a MY2010 Forester 2.5L petrol. The Forester is about to turn over 318,000 Kms and my preferred oil is - ...drum roll.... Valvoline Super Diesel 15W/40. Why? you ask? well my son is a diesel mechanic and this oil goes into all the motors that we own, and always has !!.
In 12 years of ownership, of this my second Suby I have only had "2 fail to proceed moments" - the first one was when it was new, and on a very slippery incline (search my early posts for that one) and the second just 6 weeks ago when the "original" radiator failed and the hot coolant escaped. Otherwise, I have had a dream run with this vehicle except for oil filter leaks occurring around 3000Kms before the service is due. Have tried every brand of filter except genuine filters. The filter is always still tight BUT the filter ends up leaking from the gasket. Otherwise I'm a happy camper.

NB: Diesel oils are formulated for the worst imaginable conditions, and Valvoline Super Diesel meets and exceeds the SUBARU spec. What does this oil offer compared to regular oils? ..it is High Zinc for anti wear and High detergent for engine cleanliness. Now, we can take those claims as a given, BUT for me, the main benefit is one of consistently and noticeably reduced oil consumption.

Last edited:
Gidday @ateday , and nice to meet you and :welcome: back, @onebob.

I forgot to mention that my SG never uses any oil at all between changes, which I have done every 24 months/20,000 Kms. My touchstone is that the oil looks alright (good clear, clean colour, with little to no brown discolouration or cloudiness), smells OK (like new oil, not like used mineral oil) and feels OK (not gritty or dirty - I used to be able to tell the difference between a 1/1000 and 1/1500 feeler gauge by touch alone).

I'm not concerned about the SH using that tiny bit of oil every 10,000 Kms!

I am very concerned that SCA recommend the wrong oil for the SH.

BTW, our mechanic of over 20 years, Ross Hallet, recommends RYCO filters, but not REPCO filters. Ross is an old fashioned mechanic, with an encyclopaedic knowledge of cars of all types. He knows his Onions, IOW.

I'm also horrified by the thought of inexperienced people putting the Subaru recommended 0W-20 oil in their engines. And, yes folks, I've checked. That's what they use. Good for an ambient temperature of around 28-30 °C!

5W-30 is good for an ambient temperature of around 35-37 °C, and 5W-40 is good for north of 47 °C.

Very interesting to hear that you both use 40 weight oils, and using the diesel oil is something I've never heard of before.

A member of our local SCC used Subaru recommended oil and needed a new motor when a loud knocking appeared and he used all the oil in something like 5000 kms. I guess you could use 0-W20 but would need an on board oil reservoir and twice daily level checks.
I have also on several occasions used , I think Castrol, oil for used/high mileage engines with no obvious after affects. It`s about 10W-40 I think. Price was only reason.......

Back