When it comes to the "crunch" - or not

grump

Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Manual
Three years ago I took my big sister on a trip down memory lane (for her - all new for me) around a bit of outback Queensland and a bit of Northern Territory. At the abandoned Mary Kathleen township I was chatting with a guy with a Landcruiser, and mentioned that we were going to have a look at the open cut. He looked at my Outback, smirked, and said he'd wait to hear the crunches (from me bottoming out on a couple of rough dry creek crossings/washouts I guess). He didn't realise that I have 200mm of clearance - the same as his 'cruiser. Anyway, no crunches were made.
A couple of times on the Mereenie Loop (Between Alice Springs and Kings Canyon) I overtook badly driven larger 4WDs (can't remember what - probably rented by inexperienced drivers to be kind), but the the Outback is right at home on dirt highways like that.

20191007_142202small.jpg

Yeah that’s like us last week on the Holland track - you could see where the big rigs dragged their diff through the holes, but our 27 inch tyre welding Subaru rarely touched going through the same holes.

Granted, we picked our lines and the holes to pass through, that comes with experience and mechanical sympathy. At the end of the day our Subaru convoy (all MYs!) made it through without issue.

And we had a good time which is the main thing!

Cheers

Bennie

I’m interested in your observation about ground clearance…

Having installed King raised springs a while ago, I now obsessively park next to “real” 4WDs whenever I can, just so I can step back and compare ground clearance.

It’s surprising to see how many are streets ahead, until you deduct the diff housings, lower strut mounts, rear suspension links, exhausts etc that dangle like the proverbial canine reproductive paraphernalia.

My BP Outback has +\- 200mm, but Subaru did such a great job of keeping everything tucked away that you can’t even see the diff. So in terms of “usable” ground clearance, I don’t feel particularly disadvantaged.

Approach angles, on the other hand, are a whole other buttache…

@Dave Hansford - that’s where I reckon the latest Nissan Patrol is learning a few tricks with it’s all independent suspension!

I’m sure ARB are supporting these models with bolt on bits etc, even though it’s not a “real 4wd” :poke: :p

Cheers

Bennie

I’m interested in your observation about ground clearance…

Having installed King raised springs a while ago, I now obsessively park next to “real” 4WDs whenever I can, just so I can step back and compare ground clearance.

It’s surprising to see how many are streets ahead, until you deduct the diff housings, lower strut mounts, rear suspension links, exhausts etc that dangle like the proverbial canine reproductive paraphernalia.

My BP Outback has +\- 200mm, but Subaru did such a great job of keeping everything tucked away that you can’t even see the diff. So in terms of “usable” ground clearance, I don’t feel particularly disadvantaged.

Approach angles, on the other hand, are a whole other buttache…
I’ve seen more than one bumper deleted and modified in the quest for approach clearance, if that’s a common problem where you hang, might be an option (especially if it’s already beaten up!)
Ha

Thankyamuchly! I’ve owned a few different Subarus, they’re too fun! Tinkering with an 05 Forester X. Anyone remember the big-eyed cartoon greeting card cartoon couple? I’ve never seen the “Love is…” with those characters in an Outback or something.

Back