cape hatteras

zmsubie

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
forester
Transmission
auto
Just curious if anybody has braved their forester on the amazing beaches and deep sand of Cape hatteras north Carolina. Just bought my first subie and I'm wondering if it's possible

Thank you much. Looking forward to running this little bad boy offroad

Welcome to ORS.

I can't talk about Hatteras, as I'm in Australia, but I can talk about Subarus sand capabilities.

Subaru's are a very capable vehicle in sand. Completely stock my 2006 forester was way better in the sand than my Dad's 2007 stock Pajero. Thanks to the light weight and great awd system my Forester went up sand dunes that the Pajero didn't have a chance on and could drive on Wedge beach on hard tyres, while the Pajero had to air down. The only down side to the Forester is the lack of ground clearance which makes following other 4wds tracks difficult. (I fixed that with a 1" lift)

So if you see other stock 4wds at Hatteras, then your stock Forester shouldn't have a problem as long as you air down adequately and keep the revs up and all the other sand driving techniques. If it's your first time sand 4wding, it would be best if your go with someone else with experience. However, if all the 4wd's on the beach are hugely lifted, they could be digging out large holes where you could bottom out. But when you know what you're doing Foresters are great fun in sand!

Just curious if anybody has braved their forester on the amazing beaches and deep sand of Cape hatteras north Carolina. Just bought my first subie and I'm wondering if it's possible
Did you give it a run on Hatteras? We are going in a couple months with our new Outback and I was curious. We just took it to Carolina Beach north end, and it was fine, but I have spent a lot of time on Hatteras and it’s deep. Let me know how it went.

:welcome: to the forum.

Remove the plastic engine underneath cover, or the sand will just rip it off!

Invest in a decent sump guard (bash plate)!

Back