What type of fuel?

The Captain

Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Cvt
Hi all,

I know Subaru states that we can use 91 in our cars, but does anyone religiously use fuels with higher octane ratings - ie 95 or 98? If so, what differences do you notice?

thanks

I only use 95 in my Forester, so far so good. With a higher octane, you should get a better fuel consumption with the same driving style.

95 95plus when i find 98. It drives much better .

91 always in both our Foresters. The extra cost of 95 (and specially 98) is not reflected in proportionally better economy. Performance is identical - the ECU adjusts for different octane ratings.

Turbo models require higher octane fuels.

ALWAYS use the fuel recommended for your car.

Oils are a different matter ...

Oils are a different matter ...
Absolutely. Olive oil has a low boiling point and should never be used in high temperature cooking.

Oh, ummm...

20W40 has a much higher boiling point but tastes horrible.

I've used 95 for so long I don't know the difference. All I can base it on is reports that show better distance from 95 but 98 would be wasted in my NA Foz.

I always use 98 as long as the price is right otherwise I use 95 at the very least, I refuse to use 91 or E10.
I can always get Costco 98 for the normal servo's price of 95, sometimes cheaper than the servo's 95.
I used E10 in my 03 NA Foz and it was the worst that it had ever performed was from Wallangarra to Tamworth, it was such a dog that I was down to 2nd gear in a couple of places trying to get up hills.
The car just didn't have any power/torque whatsoever. I vowed and declared from that forward to never ever use E10 in any of my vehicles.

Absolutely. Olive oil has a low boiling point and should never be used in high temperature cooking.

Oh, ummm...

20W40 has a much higher boiling point but tastes horrible.

I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Smells good, but I've never tasted it ... :unsure: :lol1:

many fory users here saying that they put like better fuel like 98 when they go to like tracks for car to response better some and maybe better works on lower revs. for real there are so many different petrol station names here that there is more different from one station to another . like LPG is very different drive depends from what station you took it so ones are like worse then other , you get more mpg from ones too vs others.
i use better petrol when i can because for my dual fuel i use petrol very small amount mainly its LPG use,so for me not so matter couple more cents to pay for better petrol.

Hi all,

I know Subaru states that we can use 91 in our cars, but does anyone religiously use fuels with higher octane ratings - ie 95 or 98? If so, what differences do you notice?

thanks
Hi there, @The Captain. Welcome to the forum.

If your manual says RON 91, then filling it up with RON 95 or 98 will just be wasteful. It won't hurt but your car won't gain anything. The higher the RON, the less prone it is for pre-detonation and since your engine is already tuned for RON 91, filling it up with RON 95 or 98 will not improve nor cause decline in performance. Usually, AUDM and NZDM cars N/A cars are tuned and setup to take RON 91 and that is an advantage because of cheaper fuel price.

RON 95 and 98 are there for older vehicles where there are engines that have some slightly-advanced timing and/or forced induction. Most newer engines are already designed to compensate for advanced timing and forced induction even if regular fuel/RON 91 is used.

For your 2nd question, my JDM EJ20 requires RON 95 as with other Japanese Imports because of the different tuning of the engines. In my case, I won't put in RON 91 because it would just knock/pre-detonate wildly at almost all RPMs. If I put in RON 98, there isn't a performance fuel efficiency gain, at all. Cheers.

Back