Roof mounted tent????

LoopSoosStroop

Forum Member
Hi Guys

I have a 2006 Forester X. Camping in Botswana and other places in Africa might lead to some encounters with big cats and things like hippos and stuff. Much better to be in a roof tent.

Do you know what the roof load capacity of my car is? My wife and I weigh a combined 130 kg. Add 40 kg for a tent and suitable mounting and you have 170 kg.

Surely this is not too much to ask of the roof?

What is your opinion?

My non-technical opinion is that pretty much all cars nowadays are designed to support the full mass of the vehicle while it's on its roof. Otherwise, you'd be pretty well **** outta luck if you were in a rollover accident.

I could be wrong.

Static load is not a problem. That B pillar has 7 layers of steel in it! Just don't leave your wife up there while driving :iconwink:

You've got a roof mounted tent don't you Kevin? Got any other pro's and con's of a roof mounted tent that you could share with us?

I'm keen to know some more about them from someone who's used one on a subi...

Cheers

Bennie

Pros - quick set-up / pack-up; most designed for wet pack-up as well; provides shade for the vehicle when parked; fantastic when touring with overnight stops; off the ground when camping; can move camp without packing up e.g. to a better position and/or rotate to catch the sun in the morning; bedding remains all set up (no matresses to inflate etc)

Cons - must have garage roof space to store (and be able to open to dry if packed up wet); if base camping have to pack up every day for day trips; getting in & out can be interesting in the wet; (I keep a plastic bag in the camper to store boots); effort to attach for a weekend overnighter may be more than pitching a tent; if you get the large bulky type, drag and hence fuel use will increase.

I'll add more if I think of anything............

Carrying roof weight for a Subaru forester is 70kg, this is multiplied by 4 when stationary so you are safe to put 280kg up there on your standard rails......Sounds like fun, thinking about getting one myself.

A reminder of mine:

packed up
11804965170fdc337.jpg

open

1180489e5a40eaebc.jpg

Yeah I've been following the 'Subaroute' blog and last i read they were here in Oz for most of the year, but are now in Argentina. I've seen Kevin's roof top tent in action. It works a treat.

Regards,

Joel

This would be AWESOME... except I don't think the Baja has nearly enough roof space...

Edit: actually, come to think of it, the baja has full four doors...
how much roof space would you need for the overland kind?

What brand of rooftop tent to people use on Foresters? I've always wanted to get one but didn't think there were any that would fit a foz so I never even investigated it.

Autohome Columbus Variant (medium size). Pricey though!

Kez and I got a second hand no-name brand unit that I believe was made in china. Goes well up the top and is a comfortable sleep.

The ladder could be better and it could be a half foot longer, the ladder will be thrown for a better setup at some stage. We're both very happy with it though.

Cheers

Bennie

Hi Guys

I have a 2006 Forester X. Camping in Botswana and other places in Africa might lead to some encounters with big cats and things like hippos and stuff. Much better to be in a roof tent.

LoopSoosStroop, you and I have the same vehicle more or less. I mounted a Autohome Maggiolina GT on mine last September and let me tell you its been a fine move.

I left about 4 cm of surplus bar beyond the outside width of my shell and this means that when I'm up there I can haul the ladder up after myself and hang it outside the tent. Makes it difficult for anything to crawl up there behind me.

Foz on Engineer Pass by sanityfactory, on Flickr

Blackberry with the top by sanityfactory, on Flickr

First night in the Tent in ID by sanityfactory, on Flickr

That looks brilliant and big enough to shade the whole roof.

Welcome too.

G'day Saguache & :welcome: to ORS.

Thats a nice set up you have there mate :)

d_generate & mr turbo,

Thanks for the welcome!

The Maggiolina GT Med is wider than the top of the 2006 Forester, but not as wide as the vehicle down near the running boards. Since I mounted it I haven't had any run-ins with the cross bars or with the shell itself. This was a little bit of a concern when I bought it, but it turned out well. I don't think I would have gone with the large however.

The interior of my forester is black and tan and I've been thinking that I might paint the Maggiolina tan to match (black would be a block head move).

Yeah i dont think black would be too good in summer lol. Wake up in a sweat...& not the good kind :monkeydance:

Do you find the black car heats up much?

I kinda like the look of the white....looks tidy :)

Back