Recent news of severe and dangerous track vandalism

El_Freddo

Forum Member
Car Year
1988, 1990
Car Model
EJ22'd L series; Targa Brumby
Transmission
Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
Yiikes. and here I was thinking it would be redneck hoons digging up the tracks.
This sounds more like militant greenies.

A Forester of one Redditor from Melbourne had all his four tyres punctured/knifed at a state park after a short stopover. He had to walk kms but luckily, somebody offered a ride back to town. Not sure if this is envy or jealousy as the track was rather technical, according to him. His Forester is not obnoxious at all as it is relatively stock.

I understand many would ask why we do what we do but it is our lifestyle. Those who do it also have their own hobbies or lifestyle. What can people be angry at us for, the use of the track to "protect nature?" People can be short sighted at times.

This bugs me quite a bit.
If Subaru’s or larger 4wd’s are sticking to the designated tracks and not trying to make their own tracks I don’t see what the problem is, we all know not everyone does but that doesn’t mean you target anyone on the Bush.
That’s like me going out the front of my house and putting tac’s or shards of glass all over the road because some people speed past my house which could endanger the local pedestrians, not thinking of the potential for serious harm or damage that could occur in the process.

As for people slashing tires.... that’s just wrong and I cringe at the thought of catching someone in the act of trying to do that to my SF or anyone’s car for that matter as I wouldn’t be very happy to say the least.

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had this happen about 10 years ago, all the big fourbies were damaged (tires, paint...) but its about over now. The Subarus were saved as they were not in the big fourbies category.

The big concern is the safety aspect. Maybe not the flat tyres as speed would be relatively low before they’d become a real safety issue. That’s not to say it can’t be a safety issue.

The real issue in my mind is ppl perishing trying to get out to get help. Summer temps over here can be extreme, distances long and terrain tough. If someone can’t get out to raise the alarm it could be dire.

Then throw in rangers and the CFA/forestry crews that could also be operating in these areas, especially if there’s a bushfire burning nearby.

It’s a cowardly act that could have huge ramifications for innocent ppl going about doing what they love to do.

Cheers

Bennie

That's why I doubt seriously that it has anything to do with people who use the tracks. It's far more likely to be done by misguided environmentalists like those who drive big nails into trees that loggers intend to cut down, or someone who lives close enough to be bothered by noise, particularly from unmuffled trail bikes. There have been instances in the past where people have strung a single wire across a track at head/chest height to take out a bike rider.

I don't call myself a greenie but I sure as hell am a passionate environmentalist. What is happening to the forest in Toolangi is absolutely disgusting! This is the LAST stronghold of the Leadbeaters Possum, a critically endangered animal & Victoria's faunal emblem.

Toolangi is also home to giants...real giants. There used to be giant gum trees here that could have been 100m tall, making them the tallest trees in the southern hemisphere. Most have been logged.

Big gum trees are now protected (supposedly). Anything with a certain cisrcumference or bigger is protected by law & it is illegal to log or otherwise harm it.

A while ago, a massive gum tree was designated as protected, not only for its size but also that it had a family of Leadbeaters Possums living in it. A few weeks later, this tree was ringbarked then set on fire. No prizes guessing by who....

There are many, many cases of environmental vandalism in Toolangi. There is so much illegal logging in Victoria, it's shameful.
Do you get offended by illegal logging in the Amazon?
How about illegal logging in Indonesian rainforests?
Guess what, Australia is one of the top ten countries in the world for deforestation and a lot of that is illegal.
We are NUMBER ONE for species extinction!!!

What you all don't understand is there is a war going on. Extremist loggers vs extremist greenies. I choose neither side as any extremism is bad, whether its religious, environmental, political or whatever. Extremism is bad!!!

This spiking was done by extremist greenies as a response to extremist loggers. They should both be up on charges!

I'm not trying to defend the extremist greenies who did this, but I want everyone to understand why it was done

Attachments

• Leadbeaters Possum 01.jpg
    Leadbeaters Possum 01.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_289836628698293.jpg
    IMG_289836628698293.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 5
  • FB_IMG_1438982383219.jpg
    FB_IMG_1438982383219.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 5
rant about the state of the planet in general not suited to offroadsubarus.com and thus deleted.
:)

Last edited:
I get a bit carried away with environmental topics.

Are you sure that's not environmental "tropics" :ebiggrin:

Yep, I'm with you guys.....big environmentalist and I don't want to be a part of a society that causes the demise of the Leadbeaters Possum and all the other critically endangered wildlife that call Australia home.

Having said that, I don't condone endangering lives. Someone could have their kids in the car and it could potentially cause a rollover.

Australia has a big social problem with conservation. Nature and the environment seem to polarise our society.

^ indeed which is why discussion is not encouraged here:

"Political, religious, climate change or similar topics with high potential for controversy are off-limits."

:iconwink:

Back