• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

So couple years ago i bought myself my first subaru ever and after long time thinking took outback against forester. Didint had budget for newer one so went for some 2nd gen that i found

Top original, lower 2"" lift with BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16
n5nmsdMh.jpg

It was 2001 subaru outback 2.5 4eat eith rear LSD and early VDC package. All weather with heated seats, windows, climate control.
It has rear self leveling shocks still ok condition so i left them just put 2" spacer on top. Not sure is it made car harder and less comfy but it can take load very well. But its not soft car to drive fast on bad roads
Then i cut front bumper and put steel skid plate just for engine. Diy it myself from steel sheet from scrapyard
abWmdRUh.jpg

Well im going 110km/h mostly on highways because with 4eat doing more gets fuel thirsty and those revs going pretty high ,more noise so i dont like it faster . All roads besides highspeeds here are 90 limit anyway.
Imagine going 100km/ and you need to overtake so need go to 115 or so it drops to lower gear revs screaming and such hehe..

new rear wheel bearing on driver side , found new friends around
mkF7rFzh.jpg

Looks like you work faster than your new friend! :iconwink:

now as i changed whining rear bearing i started to hear now my tires whine, and they should i guess as they almost done , so soon i will need new tires, but for that price they wont be bfg anymore i think i will try some cheaper ones, like those
fBtA5DJh.jpg

they russian made off road tires and they used a lot for many years allready there and in other countrys and they pretty cheap , what i payed for my bfg ta ko2 , those would be almost half price for one tire. and they super aggresive as they mud tires not AT . our local forester club uses them too so they said they hold ok and goes fine. i would be nice instead 140 for one tires pay just 70-80 . i could take 5 then and make one as spare tire too .
and they not remolded tires as we have many like those here they real made tires

I've used BFG for many years and I agree they are now overpriced; I will be looking at another brand next time as well.

here ko2's at least cost very similar to general grabbers . but then some toyo open country plus are little cheaper
87d22b41035eab0562fbdd3a7f955048.jpg

they have kinda good reviews for what they can do , can do snow too i think.
so many reviews about tires and so many people saying something about diff tires that its very hard to choose really what to buy. and then there are deals in shops so if something pops up with good deal you can make that mistake and buy something that you didint wanted really. hard to resist.

thought i will change valve cover gaskets or at least one on side where i thought i had leak. after some time looked at gasket i bought and it was not from my model, so nothing else to do just to clean everything and put all back . what a shame. job its not taking long time but its lots harder then any other engine where valve covers are just on top. still. after that i think my leak was not coming from valve gasket
616DjyNl.jpg

still with changing oil and filters will go on to trip tomor with some leaking oil but for now it will do
8blXrguh.jpg

Just pretend you're in an old VW on the trip. Then you won't be worried about a bit of oil leaking out. ;)

i found solution at least for protecting nature from nasty stuff, i just put sone dirt or sand in to my skid plate end where all oil collects then that sand or dirt stays there and it sucks all that oil into itself and nothing goes out .

did trip , just came back home, 3 days , sleeping in car , enjoying sea water , some pink medusas too but they dont bite soe peolple just swim with them.
WPWoPqMh.jpg

those are old structures that where there in old times for defences now collapsed to sea some still stand , looks cool
BpsMgp9h.jpg

EMA3a1yh.jpg

he made it everything. yes tires used yes they howl more now , yes some bushes started to ticking but all that i heard one one trip and i will check those. not sure what to do with tires yet what to buy what to use , some people here just buying winter tires and using them like 2 years or so full time and then changing as some winter tires can be pretty good on all conditions.
ULeWTBuh.jpg

and i duno why i have that roof rack , yes im using it sometimes for some building planks or some stuff to carry on it , but for main reason that i made it to carry hi lift jack and some tools that i keep inside car for that i would need some box that is secure too and strong water proof and not fly away on high speed. so on trips im not using that roof rack at all, i carry still hi lift jack inside even with bed and stuff i could use it more , but im kinda not .

Last edited:
BbwIw2ch.jpg

not sure how i will paint there, or what to do , maybe do some black lines over those plastic fenders. ir make paint as my car have in can and try to spray myself. easier would be do some black there like baja style
maxresdefault.jpg

make that line wide but not sure if i do it black on top silver fender how it would look
or maybe just them roun not like bajas just wide so that would cover that what i did now. i Wonder in what photo editing program i could easily try that to just paint on top and see how it looks.
just do something with bed liner there maybe , but again need something that could be painted with brush or from spray can yourself.

some fast result with 3d paint. i just need better pic from side close up and make stickers from those then put on car pic. this just too low res but with wider silver fenders it looks kinda ok i think.
2ll7RVkl.png

New forum look . Nice . I like it.
So i couldnt go round wider fenders style because on other side i cant do just round anymore. So it will go baja style i guess. Just maybe not grey
iY8VsN0.jpg

So i did that first tried grey but then went black on top.
And because its oversprayable anti gravel i can allways make it car color if i want later
e6X0keY.jpg
c

Now will do another side then see how it looks with bumper on

MD2U4Dq.jpg

gUpkpvb.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty radical. you are going to do the bumpers and door sills aren't you?

You mean all in black? Hmm i dont think so. Just front from lights to fender will redo that black line its just plasti dip there now , will redo that to anti gravel and leave it like that.

front needed some work too. not best look i was hoping maybe will need to change later something
mHP53Ks.jpg

I think the black clashes. not that my opinion matters at all. :)

Yh it might and live it looks better for me then in photo. And then its allways can be painted on top.

Back