ORS.com #1

my04tone

Forum Founder - RIP Tony
Where should i put this thread? it will be picture intensive and i am trying to keep it in some sort of order date wise but thats going to be impossible.

Maybe someone can save the old pix incase they get rubbed out/deleted like the 1st time.

Hold on to your hats
This Might Get Loud :lol:

This sounds like it's going to be a great thread :raz:
I'm also happy to have it & leave it here, in the General Forums section :)
I can also make it a sticky too :iconwink:

To keep it clean, perhaps you can request that there are no replies, but thats entirely up to you.

With the pics, I can save them in a separate location so as they aren't lost should anything happen.

I'm really looking forward to this :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I dont mind people adding remarks to the thread, pictures wise it would be great if they were off one of the tours we did, and we did quite a few, there's bound to be some lost snaps, i lost quite a few in a computer crash about 5yrs ago but i still have alot.

I hope to have the first installment finished by tomorrow.

Cmon. U Can't put a teaser out there & do diddly Squat! THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

Best regards,

First trip will be up sometime today, so far from this trip alone i have over 20pics i need to cull down to about 6.

Shot in 35mm August 2003
jiix.jpg

Last edited:
In 14th July 2003 i bought "The Subee" an MY04 Forester X poverty pack for at the time around $32000, a lot of money back then and still is today.

I had a dream of turning it into the best touring offroader i could, the decision to buy the Subaru came after months of looking at every 4x4 known to man and this car kept coming up tops.

I had my own web servers that were sitting idle after i gave away my music career and stripped all my music out of there, it was time to get back out in the bush, so i started a forum in the background and called it OFFROADSUBARUS.com, i was hoping no one had the name and to my luck i found it was vacant so i registered it as a domain and we were in business.

It was JUly when my car arrived, the 1st one sold in Melbourne of the newer SG, so i decided to tour it asap, below is my 1st trip away. I had visions on this trip of making this one of the best most informative sites on the net, combining my photography skills with my driving skills (an ex Army Driving Instructor) and my knowledge of the bush.

Little did i realize that to run and moderate the site, look for sponsors and be 100% hands on with the driving and touring and trips away, would 5years later take its toll on me, but thats a story for later.

Walhalla to Woods Point.

I wanted to see what this car would do in a Rally type situation and i flogged the butt off it when safe to do so. The Walhalla to Woods Point Rd can be a tough strip to punt on, so just the right one to test this stock straight out of the dealer Forester. It s wasnt until i started to lose traction on corners and was getting huge sideways drifts that i knew i had reached the limits of the car, but had i? no it wasnt until i found i had torn the shreds out of some tyres and puntured one that the 1st fault with the car raised its head, the tyres.

I have to add that not being used to AWD i hadnt realized i had blown a tyre and that
the car had actually saved me from crashing with the AWD allowing me to drift and
slide rather than lose control.

Walhalla
z88a.jpg

Walhalla Cemetery is on the side of a steep hill
jre4.jpg

On the Woods Point Rd, it gets very narrow and steep in parts.
c4wo.jpg

Aberfeldy Bridge for a rest stop
o7r7.jpg

Thompson Dam Catchment it would of been great to stop and smell the roses but i was moving too hard
u73c.jpg

On the way into Aberfeldy i had a big grin, i had just punted this road at speeds i would never normally dream of and had total control
uau7.jpg

Sliding and drifting, now i know why, i was wrapped the car took a blown tyre at speed on a gravel road in its stride
ln9q.jpg

All out of spares and on inspection tyre number 2 is about to blow a sidewall.
43x7.jpg

Home and not quite hosed, we made it, time to do w rite up on the forum i haven't bought online yet and do some homework on what the car needs in the future.
id31.jpg

Repairing the blown tyre and putting the wrecked sidewall tyre in as a spare i had to wait for an order on Yoko AT tyres, over size i knew they would be, but i had a trip planned with Beigewagon, the 1st member to join me ,and it was decided to do Dry Gully Track Baw Baw for some real offroading, so the OEM squealers would get a second outing, and i hoped the would hold up.

Next up Dry Gully Track

Last edited:
A few more shots from that out of season very warm August day.
msr9.jpg

Tree down, well branch at least.
drd1.jpg

Copper Mine Hotel Coopers Creek Getting ready to open for the new season, i had organized to play some shows there but for some reason or another they didnt happen
7suw.jpg

I went for a swim with the car across the Thompson, it wasnt flowing hard or deep
fp0i.jpg

Following the old railway line and tunnels
lt5k.jpg

What a brand new Geo Squealer looks like after 140k of Rally type driving
ftvd.jpg

I am going through the old code for links and things of interest, i havent even scratched the surface and found these car pics from the old site still online, so i made a montage of them.

Anyone onsite own or owned one of these?
ksdo.jpg

Some more pics during the interlude.
Everyone was getting into it, this is what made me decide to get some stickers made up.
The old site motto "Doin' It In The Dirt"

vsim.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your old pics and history of the site. A great read and looking forward to more!

Cheers

Tim

Geez I remember some of those Forry's :)

The silver one with the angle wings (top left) has been owned by a few members on here :raz:
It was first owned by goraiko, who I think sold it to Cheyne_r who then sold it to Hux.
I haven't seen or heard from these guys in a while though :sad:

The red Forry I think was owned by onebob, but not 100% sure.

I'm not sure about the others, but the white one & especially the green one seem familiar :)

Might I also say, I'm really enjoying this thread so far, its fantastic :raz:
I really like the "doing it in the dirt" pic too, it's a beauty :biggrin:
If it's ok with you, I'd love to make a banner out if it, as long as it's ok with you that is :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Absolutely terrific stuff, Tony.

Wonderful that you can put in the effort to extract this stuff. I, for one, understand how much finger work is involved in this sort of exercise!

Keep it coming, mate - I'm rapt :ebiggrin: :biggrin:.

A week before i met up with Beigewagon and still waiting on Bullbar and new tyres, i decided i would take a very fast punt along the Acheron Way, just going up the mountain on an icy tar road was fun in itself. It was late August and bitterly cold, mud, wet, slippery, big moments, and the ever growing thought that the tyres wouldnt get me to Marysville.

Again the car exceeded expectations and gave me a chance to devise my own version of the Scandanavian flick, albeit in an AWD car, and it sure gave me some heart stopping moments, but you never know unless you give it a go.

2js2.jpg

5y36.jpg

asvr.jpg

qj9t.jpg

jstq.jpg

Nice recovery after a bit of an off, again AWD pulled me out of a huge slide
rhxo.jpg

Even time to try a creek crossing
vkr4.jpg

I have driven this road heaps of times, and at night going very fast :surprised: but my most memorable was my 11yo niece saying to me on a very wet day "Lets Rally Uncle Tony", when we got to the end of the Acheron Way her door was open and out went her lunch :rotfl:no more Rally for her after that.

Shooting in 35mm you really had to save your shots, i took more up in here
if i find them i will post them.

... but my most memorable was my 11yo niece saying to me on a very wet day "Lets Rally Uncle Tony", when we got to the end of the Acheron Way her door was open and out went her lunch :rotfl:no more Rally for her after that.
Thats cruel :lol: :puke: :rotfl:

The more I read this thread, the more I'm liking it :raz:
Keep the great pics & story report coming I say :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back