Klondyke Tour/Escape

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
Last Thursday, I went toured the Klondyke-Waiuku area as I had to do this escape due to the increased workload after the lockdown, which is still good for the business, but I needed help from Mama Nature to clear my mind up and balance my thoughts. The area was supposed to be part of my Port Waikato tour which got shortened because of the previously broken cheap tyre inflator. There were thunderstorms and I preferred that because I enjoy seeing Mama Nature at work.

Klondyke is home to a Forestry company so the tourer may be squeezing his vehicle amongst logging trucks.

Here is the entrance to the area. The roads were rough, I travelled light and I couldn't speed more than 40 kph so I had to air down to 24 PSI.
mptbYLC.jpg

aQL0EQV.jpg

Y82zPuX.jpg

Good-looking outcrop - My hammer is at the bottom for scale.
zwngDFg.jpg

They still managed to keep the native forest untouched in many places.
B6TdlgZ.jpg

All lights on for maximum visibility.
s4sdYKQ.jpg

The roads were very narrow and there were warnings about oncoming trucks.
ePgN5oZ.png

The mighty Waikato River, where Auckland is currently getting up to 50% of its freshwater from due to the drought. While Auckland's water reserves were low, Waikato was flooding and the river's level was higher than when I visited it last year.
rzMS8ub.jpg

Lunch time.
qLqxlgl.jpg

Native forest on the left and forestry land at the right-hand-side.
LCKVxD1.jpg

I played around this muddy area. On the left hand side there was more mud! Playing around this area cost me NZD 8.00 to clean the under-chassis using self-wash that uses grey water.
dZkkOXy.png

That fence indicates that somebody truly wanted to go OFF-ROAD!!!
B3W93Xo.png

I encountered this truck on my way down. The driver and I braked properly. I even managed to turn while heavily braking. Our EBD works well even on unsealed roads. What a good-looking truck.
ZhRIbkO.png

StuETsq.png

This was one of the more maintained sections of the road. There were operations in the area so they had to keep the roads as perfect as possible.
j1M9MNy.jpg

They even covered this downed truck as a way to respect its death.
biGbKGS.jpg

This abandoned house/shed/office was off-limits. I would have wanted to check what's inside.
6aUnshi.jpg

On the way back, I went to Waiuku Forest but immediately turned around because there wasn't that much to see there.
zoS1FV8.jpg

It is just a tailor-made forest to cover the iron-sand mining operations beside it BUT there is a proper off-road playground in it which is bookable only by organisations. If there is an off-road Subaru club in the region that I am member of, we can book the playable area for maximum fun and satiscfaction.
1593660470800.png

The Waikato River close up - On the other side is Klondyke. Behind me on this photo was an obstacle good for the diagonal approach. There were tracks on it indicating that some vehicles played onto it. The SG went through it no problems. The vLSD did its job rather efficiently. Sadly, I relied on my dash cam footage which I forgot to copy on the way out and the recording already looped when I was already in Auckland so I don't have any footage of it at all.
yDOcoou.jpg

Traffic was relatively light on the way back. Maybe everyone was working at home due to everyone being sick of the flu - not COVID-19.
kxX7zI0.png

There was buildup in the North Shore, as usual. The cars here were already running slow and this lane is for one of the exits. Behind me here was a tailgating BN Legacy at this speed. He backed off after a few seconds as he may have noticed the Subaru badge on the SG.
TCacRid.png

It was a good tour/escape.

I think we might disagree on road quality and width.. ;)

I think we might disagree on road quality and width.. ;)
Yes. The road was smoother than the ones in Northland where the corrugations are very well-pronounced. This road was rough only because I couldn't drive faster to get a smoother run. They looked OK but the sorting of the aggregates was off. It was very unusual and hard to explain but at that speed, it was the first time I actually wanted to go 20 PSI on a road that looks rather smooth.

Regarding width, the road was only narrow because of the logging trucks. The road's width were actually similar to the 309 Road in Coromandel where I encountered oncoming vehicles at speed and I had to do evasive maneuvre twice. Those instances might have gotten stuck in my subconcious and I felt that the width doesn't give that much room for error/evasive action.. The truck I encountered there was a proper close call. There were plenty of pockets, though, where one can stop to give way to trucks. Cheers.

EDIT: Consistency. My mind was already diluted at 1:30AM.

Last edited:
Back