Guess the problem - win a bunch of ORS stickers! And the winner is......

Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
The symptom = Overheating to 115C and ranging from 98C

I recently did a trip to visit relatives leaving very early in the morning; it usually takes approx. 2hrs 15 mins. It was about 6C when I left home and the temperature dropped to 0C as I headed South and the car ran just fine.

On the return journey however there were problems. On the 30 minute 80KPH stretch back to the motorway at about 6C all was good. Then about 10 minutes later at 100 KPH it started to overheat. I pulled off the motorway and checked coolant, fan operation, changed radiator cap and bled the system. It ran just fine for the next 100Ks at 100KPH then just as I reached the outskirts of Sydney, in fairly heavy traffic and somewhat warmer at 21C, it started to overheat again so I had to get off the motorway. I had a short break in a nearby park, checked everything again, then made my way home via suburbia. It was fortunate that the mainly 70KPH route I had chosen had lots of traffic lights and, at times, I was sweating on a red light so I could stop because when I stopped the temperature would reduce from 110-114C to 98-100C.

So, I know what caused the overheating but can you guess? The first member to guess can have a set of ORS stickers appropriate to their vehicle sent to them (except the Big Stick because we’ve run out). If no one hits the mark then the member with the closest guess will get the stickers.

History:

The AllDriveSubaroo re-manufactured engine has done about 50,000 kilometres, regularly serviced and was running well.

In March this year it had a major timing belt service, where all the proper parts were replaced e.g. all belts, water pump, thermostat, tensioners, idlers etc. A small oil leak that appeared on the bottom of the timing cover, which was diagnosed as coming from the rocker cover, was also fixed. They reported there was a damaged electrical plug on one of the radiator fans and that was repaired by an auto electrician while he also overhauled the alternator.

When the COVID19 restrictions had lifted I took a run 75 mins each way North and, while the car ran well, on my return I discovered oil was still leaking from the bottom of the timing cover. The car went back to the repairer and they pulled everything apart again and discovered the crank seal was leaking – which they fixed free of charge. When I got home after collecting the car it was overheating to 115C (just under the red marking on the temperature gauge); home was less than 10 kilometres. After a little investigation I found that a wire to the radiator sub-fan had been broken so I repaired it. Obviously that damage was done when the radiator and fans were removed and replaced at the workshop.

Following further repairs I’ve repeated the same trip North and happy to say that all is well.

(Judges decision is most likely final and all correspondence will be entered into!) :)

Admin / Moderators are excluded from guessing (because they know already!)

Last edited:
Sounds like what has been happening to mine for a couple of years now
The only thing I haven't replaced so far is the water pump.
I've been to multiple mechanics and no-one has a clue.
So in other words, i've got NFI.

edit: Radiator was replaced around(ish) the time the overheating started as was timing belt (I don't know if mechanic replaced the water pump at that time, and their system died so they have no records of what was done)

Last edited:
The symptom = Overheating to 115C and ranging from 98C

Was there an air lock in the cooling system?
Blocked radiator?

My 2003 XS Forester ran fine until 178,405kms when it overheated, turns out the radiator cores were blocked at the bottom. Boxer Service in Brendale said it was blocked with what looked like casting sand, it was that fine and packed so tight there was no way they or the radiator repair shop could get it out. Put a new radiator in and no more issues.

Nope - no air locks, radiator is fine! ;)

Yes, on the journey South nothing was dead.

Today's clue: In decades of motoring, working on cars and regular involvement with Subie forums for the last 18 years I have never encountered this issue before.

Last edited:
Yes, on the journey South nothing was dead.

Today's clue: In decades of motoring, working on cars and regular involvement with Subie forums for the last 18 years I have never encountered this issue before.

Well that rules me out of the running, the last car I had any real hands on experience with was the 1986 VL Commodore and that was limited too.
Once electronics like computers etc. made their way into cars, I was in way over my head.

Ha Ha - no, but it could happen I suppose. More likely to be a plastic bag but nothing was obstructing the radiator

Last edited:
Back