Clutch and flywheel job

Ser_Egg

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Subaru Forester SG series 1
Transmission
5Spd Manual
Whats the average price on a flywheel and clutch job. Also whats the go type of clutch, is there any benefits and downsides to having a heavy clutch or will OEM suffice.
I know nothing when it comes to transmissions

My thoughts are the heavier the clutch, the more likely other things will break.
I could be wrong though, and comfortable with being proven as such as that means I'm learning something I didn't know before.

Try to stick with OEM. When I had manual transmissions, I only used either genuine or Exedy. We have had heavy duty ones on a JZX110 and, while it's good for racing/track/drift, the drivability was extremely compromised.

I've had 'velvet touch' linings on several cars where oil on the plate was a problem. 45 years ago ...

While they worked fine for the very heavy use they got (towing a two horse, tandem axle horse float) as they were for fork lifts, I would also recommend OEM unless you really know what you are doing, and the specific outcome you want achieve.

Generally speaking, modern car design engineers know a lot more about car design than any of us do ...

There was a time in my youth when I could modify engines and gears to maximise and optimise a car.

I did this a few times. It worked. The last time was about 45 years ago ...

Nowadays, I would drop a 2.2L engine into a 1993 Impreza. Geez the1.8L was gutless, but a brilliant touring car.

However, I wouldn't change anything about my 2006 SG ...

I only used either genuine or Exedy.

Exedy make the OEM clutches.

Back when I had my old SG, I paid about $900 at trade from the dealer for the lot - Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Fork, Bearing, bolts, and did the labour myself

+1 to Exedy standard duty clutch, no need for heavy duty if you are a regular driver. A few years back I was pressed for time and couldn't do my SG9 clutch myself so I paid a local shop and they charged $1200 for the full thing, inc rear main seal. Comparatively I did the clutch on my L Series wagon last year for about $450 which was the exedy clutch, bearing, rear main seal, flywheel machining + new tranny oil and seals while I was at it.

Back