• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Can you hang down the gas tank just a little? (my'02)

cr445671

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
forester
Transmission
auto
I currently have the entire rear end out, went underneath to give the few little ticks of rust a little scrubby-scrub and some rustoleum (literally just a few pea size spots here and there, I live in Florida and that's where the car's from too), and i started looking at the gas tank and wondering what might be hiding above it. can you drop it just a bit without undoing the stuff under the rear seat? I think I want to try and see if there's anything that needs a little wire brushing and some paint.

i think you can . whats under rear seat its on tank itself not connected to frame any kind so if tank drops those drops too. i drove for long time with one side tank metal line was broke and tank was some lower level but nothing major.

the stuff under the rear seat isn't hard to get to.

A few bolts pops the cover plate off, then you can disconnect fuel lines.

Would be better to do that than risk damaging them when you drop the tank.

yah I've just got a whole bunch of stuff in the back rite now and no where else really to put it, atleast not for 24hrs while the rust reformer cures, then another 48 while the paint gets decently hard. maybe it's something I should hold off on.

If everything is out of the rear end for the rust treatment work, now is the time to do the whole job and do it well.

Find/make space for that stuff in the car - can it go on the roof for now? It’s time to get creative!

Cheers

Bennie

What all other than the things under the rear seat are there to undo? Besides the filler tubes and metal straps, I know about them

Edit: nvm, found and downloaded a FSM on ebay so I've got it now

Last edited:
on another rust related note, does anyone have an opinion on the likelyhood of rust hiding between the front oem subframe spacers and the chasis? The spacers themselves look like they're made of cast iron so I think the discoloration aroung the edges is just a result of that, but I'd really appreciate anyone elses opinion since it's such an important spot; maybe someone who's done an sf subframe lift could chime in on what they noticed when they did it? It would be slightly tricky dropping the subframe with the engine still in but as long as I keep it supported on two sides with a combination of wood/ jack stands I think I could pull it off, I'm going to be rebuilding the rack and pinion anyway, and already have both front control arms out, so there isn't much in the way, but it does seem like something not to do unless you have a good reason to.

Last edited:
@NachaLuva you do a lot of subframe lifts don't you? Am I way overthinking things or is this something worth checking on?

Last edited:
Back