SJ GVM upgrade

I checked my compliance plate and it was 2015kg. So plenty of spare weight...following this i went and bought an Engel and some roof racks.

Time to start planning a rear storage build 🤔

So plenty of spare weight...following this i went and bought an Engel and some roof racks.
Every win deserves a prize. :)

What sort of Engel did you get? I bought one of the lightweight plastic 40l ones. Great fridge, and a heap lighter than the metal ones.

I bought a steel 40l Engel. I was looking at the Dometic as well, but once actually seeing them in person i wasn't happy with the dometic lid and clip.

The Engel just seemed a lot more robust.

I went 40L instead of 35L simply because i could stand a wine bottle upright in the 40 😆.

I didn't know there were plastic Engels, but to be honest i didn't look around too much, just saw what BCF had too offer and a couple youtube vids for research.

Planning to power it with a portable powerstation from Itechworld

If you’re wanting a GVM upgrade, first point of call is to a registered engineer in your state. Talk to them and see what they say. If they can’t or won’t do it because x/y/z, they should know someone who does.

I know Peddars do GVM upgrades but they might balk at a Subaru asking for one. Kind of like asking ARB for something off the shelf for a Subaru :shake:

I love the new Engels with the digital readout. Still love our old Engel with the temp guess dial though!

Cheers

Bennie

Hi BoulderFoz,

Not sure if this helps but I've been looking into the weight tolerances for my MY15 2.0i-L Forester myself. Like your vehicle the GVM for my Forester is also 2015Kgs, Unloaded weight is 1447kgs - so allows 568kgs for passengers & Extra's. The Engels MD40F 38L (sold as 40Litres or 50cans) is 22kgs so should be ok for Cargo Draws (depending on how many passengers you will ferry about and how heavy they are.:unsure:
From my research I understand the Maximum Dynamic Weight (the rooftop weight the car can carry while moving) for my roof is 80kgs however my Factory fitted Roof Racks maximum weight is rated at around 75 kgs. The maximum static weight the roof can carry when level and at standstill is apparently a lot higher than the dynamic weight.

Found this regarding my Subaru OEM Roof Racks which seems to be a good indicator of how to work out the static weight. As mentioned my racks have a Dynamic weight capacity of 75kgs (inclusive not each):

The weight capacity of the tent in use (static weight) can exceed the driving weight capacity of the rack/vehicle because the loads are dispersed throughout the tent and partially supported by the ladder. As a guideline, the static roof rack capacity is approximately three times the dynamic weight capacity (roof rack and tent included).

https://thule.elevio.help/en/articles/118-can-my-vehicle-carry-the-weight-of-my-rooftop-tent

....so my racks would take a static weight of 225kgs. If I minus 50kgs for the Tent I'm looking and 10kgs for an Awning (= 60kgs) that would leave 165.kgs for 2 people.
The dynamic weight of 60kgs comes in under the 75kgs rating for my racks also - so all good. (y)

Back