GreenSuby

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
G'day all
I'm chasing a good low km engine for a 2004 sg forester.
Greensuby

G'day Kevin
Not sure how long we'll keep it, but not making any plans at the moment to move on. Was thinking of slotting in a reasonable motor so it would give me time to get the current motor reconditioned. I'll be doing the pulling down & rebuilding & getting a local place to do the machining & supplying the parts. Alternatively, if i can get my hands on a good second hand motor that might be all I do.
Greensuby

What's your definition of low kms on a 17 year old motor?
(just out of interest, because I've got one with about 170,000km on it. I think it's cooked though. The oil in it certainly is)

G'day ben up north
That's a good question. Suppose I'm chasing a unicorn, but you never know there could be one owned by the old lady that only drove the car to church on Sundays. 170000km probably is a realistic amount as you say considering the models age. Would have a bit of a buffer before needing the cam belt change. Don't think your one is what I'm chasing by the sound of it though.
Greensuby

Have you looked into getting an import? that's probably the best way to get a lower km one, a half cut from Japan or just the engine. At a guess, probably similar pricing (without taking into consideration freight).
You certainly wouldn't want the one I've got, but if you get really desperate you can have it. You'd have to come up here and pull it out of the parts car too! :D

On the plus side, I believe the belts were only recently (Kms wise) done!

How would you go about or through to get a half cut? Seen mobs doing this years ago but not recently.

When I rebuilt the engine in my old 07X a couple of years ago, I just bought a super low km hail write off from auction way cheaper then you could get an engine for, sold off all the parts I didn't want (well and truly breaking even). Pulled the engine, sent the heads off, etc. Then it was a simple single day job to pull my old engine, replace clutches etc, and drop the newer one in

Back