Can I use the space saver steel wheel with standard sized tyres on XV ?

FurryMoses

Car Year
Car Model
XV
Transmission
Auto CVT
I know the answer is partly "yes"... but I need help.

I just fitted the standard sized tyre (225/60/R17) to my "space saving" steel rim.
I actually got Maxxis AT771 - https://www.tyrereview.com.au/maxxis-bravo-at771-long-term-review

The "space saving" steel rim, explicitly says not to drive over 80km/ph and travel only 100km (? can't remember)

I just wanted to ask you guys, surely this is only a limitation of the "standard" actual space-saving tire size - which is 185/65/R17?
Presumably, now I've fitted a normal sized (225/60/R17) to this steel rim, all the warnings can be ignored?

PS I'm planning to buy an alloy wheel, the same as the other 4 to fix this, but in the meantime...

I would say the limitation can now be ignored and was in place because of the different size e.g.
1592903676980.png

Thanks
I also didn't mention that I can't fit my new wheel in the spare-wheel-well, and so have to deal with that as well...
But I'll just have to deal with that.
I'll add some photos when I get the chance.

I was always under the impression that space saver tyres were skinny things, but the same diameter as the normal tyre.
Seems that way on the SVX anyway.

Roo2 came with 4x factory mags and a full size steel spare. I replaced the steelie with a matching alloy rim.

"Space saver" spares are an abomination!

Thanks for pinging the memory @grump

@FurryMoses is indeed "Spurry Moses" - welcome! Good to hear from you again - how goes the music?

Spurry/Furry was an inspiration for a lot of Subaru people. Not so much for hard core trail work, more for remote touring. Me included. Nice to see your posts again.

Yeah that's the one.
The 2001 Forester is still alive but I've upgraded to an XV - only waited a few days to put A/T tyres on it.
Had my mechanic check it out - he mentioned the space-saver rim is actually thinner than standard as well (though it takes a full-size tyre)

Subaru XV with AT.jpeg

New vs Old

Forester vs XV.png

Beautiful colour and vehicle.

That's 22G red if, I am not wrong. That colour is made-to-order here.

Back