Subinats 2018

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
A good showing of both competitors and spectators for this years Subinats. For some reason it began on a Friday. I dropped in for a few minutes as I was working in the area. A couple of hours later, a young kid from Melbourne in a high powered wrx got it all wrong on a wet track during a supersprint. I am told he was knocked out in the accident and had to be cut from the car before being taken to hospital. I hear he is ok but sore. That night, there was a skidpan on.

Today, there was another supersprint and motorkhana on, plus a show and shine on. I was pleased to see some dirt spec Forries there. They were the only show and shine cars I took interest in. I spoke to Mitch and his dad from Brisbane, Mark, plus another bloke from Melbourne Jackson. I invited Mitch to jump in my wrx as a passenger later in the day.

I had Alex with me for the morning session as a passenger. I had a few gremlins with the car, to do with the handbrake and centre diff. Once sorted, I had some fun even though most of the time I had no idea where I was supposed to go.

In the early afternoon, a couple of blokes I had never met jumped in as passengers and they loved. One bloke said to me he got a shock mainly because, he said, outside the car I was so quiet and unassuming, and then when we got on the track I was pretty full on.

Then in the final session Mitch joined me, and again we had some fun. I threw the car around a fair bit, getting smoke billowing out from all 4 under power on dry concrete. Mitch had his window open and had a free shower! At the end of the session, as I was driving back to park the car, I hit the wipers to clean the screen of water. That did bugger all as most of the water was on the inside of the screen!

The crowd seemed to enjoy the action, the fences were lined with them. I think they enjoyed watching us more than the supersprint. I had a really enjoyable day and it was a pleasure to share it with a number of passengers as well.

I’m sure you have a story to tell Alex. Such as the 2 door, the Brumby, the L series etc. Fill us in on your day at Subinats.

Awesome! Sounds like you had a blast Rally - and had fun giving others an experience at the same time.

That "young fella" - how young, like P plate young? If so he was doing it all wrong right from the beginning!

I hope I can make it to one some day!

Cheers

Bennie

Me too! Probably better chance of attending if not held on a Father's Day weekend though!

I am told he was about 17.

There are some very capable teenage drivers out there. Some of them are mature enough too. Unfortunately, there are not many. I don’t know the details of this particular accident, or those involved, so I can only speak generally. It’s not uncommon for young drivers to have ambitions in excess of their abilities, or for parents to share those ambitions. I have also seen teenagers with real abilities as I said

Oh, there’s another Motorkhana on this Saturday at SMP

I have also seen teenagers with real abilities as I said

Best driver I've ever been in a car with was 18 at the time. She had control like you wouldn't believe.

Mind you, she did break a few cars learning to drive to that level.

Back