pbilz

Forum Member
Car Year
MY14
Car Model
Forester XT
Transmission
CVT
I've just returned from a 3 week road trip with a smattering of gravel and off-roading thrown into the mix. Camping gear in the roof pod with the fridge in the back.

Headed west out of Brisbane and turned north at Miles. I had a wonderful 100km 'rally stage' short cut to my 1st night stop over at Blackdown Tablelands N.P via the Fitzroy Development road. Nothing but corrugated gravel goodness, just mind the cattle chicanes. Had a Zook tag along for this 1st stage. The wife is still amazed how I can drive so sedately in the city but give me a gravel road and well... I can't resist. Love the Forester XT.

IMG_0477.jpeg

Blackdown Tablelands NP is a nice little spot. Nothing but flat land and this mountain jotting up out of the landscape. I wouldn't spend more than 2 nights here. Some short walks, a swimming hole and a 4x4 loop that wasn't too challenging other than one but puckering small climb and a steep decent that X-mode hill descent took care of. There's drop toilets, each camp site is well maintained and each with a fire pit. Take all your rubbish out.

IMG_0489.jpeg
IMG_0506.jpeg
IMG_0507.jpeg
The next night was a quick stop over in Clermont with the talk of the town and pub being a lightening strike taking out the only Telstra tower in town... Optus for once with the win. Kept heading north through Charters Towers, a quick beer and steak 'sanga at the 3 Rivers Hotel in Greenvale before a glamp at the Undarra Lava Tubes. Such an interesting spot and 1 night was definitely not enough. Explored the lava tubes, hung out with micro bats and enjoyed a bush brekkie whilst fending off kookaburras and kites.
IMG_0518.jpeg
After this we headed into the Daintree for a few nights. Took a goat track detour between Mt Garnett and Herberton... any opportunity for another gravel rally stage. We based ourselves at Cape Trip Camping. A nice spot right on the beach. Cold beer, amazing wood fired pizzas. For a day trip we headed up the Bloomfield track, lunch at Lion's Den Hotel while staring at the 4x4's returning and heading to the cape and dropped off two young ladies we picked up who blew out the clutch of their Prado on the Bloomfield track. That would have been an expensive flat bed call out. Other than a few steep 21 and 30 degree inclines and declines it's not too difficult. I had a stock SK forester tail us to Wujal Wujal and a busted up old sedan on the way back. I couldn't convince the other half to return via a North South Creb Track run. It was dry and would have been okay.... another time.

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg
We did a quick drive by of Cooktown before turning south back towards the Daintree. On our way back we stopped in for a swim at Archer point, maybe 20km south of Cooktown? If I had my time again and if you don't mind roughing it (no toilet facilities) camping here would be amazing.
IMG_0614.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg
On our way back through Cairns I stopped in for fuel near the airport and spotted a lifted white SG forester with a polish subaxtreme bullbar - I was wondering if it was Ben Up North? Taking an L plater for a driving lesson? Anyway I exchanged a nod in acknowledgement of a fine looking Subi.

After this we trekked back down to Mission Beach to hang out for a week and a half, spend time with my family who still live up there and decided to walk Mt Bartle Frere again - tallest mountain in QLD at 1622m. Unfortunately it was all cloud cover this time and no views but counted 16 leeches on the ascent. However I was pretty disgusted, that at the very top the people that have left plastic bags and other rubbish. I would have thought that those who would make the effort to climb 1500m over 7.5km would have a better appreciation for nature. If I do the climb again next year I'm taking a few rubbish bags.

I got the obligatory Cassowary spot and photo at Etty Bay and walked a few smaller hills around Mission Beach. The rest of the trip was bitumen as we camped our way back down the coast to Brisbane.
IMG_0733.jpeg
IMG_0680.jpeg

All that's left is to save some more holidays for the next road trip... I'm thinking I may head further west next time.

I reckon it was - a shame you didn't get to meet up!

That's the forester I spotted. Damn. I should have said g'day. I'll be up there next year again, I'll make mention if I do and maybe do a track or two.

Cape Trip
Cape Trib
who blew out the clutch of their Prado on the Bloomfield track.
How did they do that? The Bloomfield is pretty tame, more of a gravel road than a track nowadays... the clutch must have already been on the way out.
Anyway I exchanged a nod in acknowledgement of a fine looking Subi.
Ha! I remember seeing you there, I was thinking the same! :D
The mechanic in the buildings to the side of the servo is who I'm taking the forester to nowadays, he's pretty good. did you notice the subarus scattered about? I was checking out one of his more recent arrivals, an 03/04 forester to see if he might want some parts from my parts car.

Next time you come up, We'll at least do black mountain road, it's a nice 'shortcut' to Port Douglas, Maybe try the bump track, that's sort of like a mini Creb track. Or we could do the Creb track,;) You do need low range, unless you've got an auto I guess, there's some well steep sections.

Last edited:
Cape Trib
Damn auto correct...

Definitely next time I’ll let you know when I’m heading up.

Agreed, the Bloomfield track isn’t that hard. The Prado wasn’t mechanically sound and they told me while trying to organise road side assistance a Lion’s Den that their mechanic when they bought it mentioned the clutch needs looking at.

For the creb track I’ve heard north to south while still tough isn’t as bad as south to north. The conditions would have to be perfect. A guy on SOA facebook group posted that he did it in his auto SH forester with highway tread. I’d imagine a few brief stops would be required to let the forester cool down. I know mine doesn’t take long to get hot on slow sandy terrain.

The conditions would have to be perfect
Yep. all the steep bits are pretty much straight clay. Get a smattering of rain on it and you're sliding down the hills praying to your deity! I haven't actually done it yet, but watched a lot of videos. Ah, the downsides of travelling solo. I wouldn't try the Creb on my own (have only got a hand winch, and they ain't much fun to use)
I might ask daughters boyfriend to do it with me, He's grown up doing the Telly track and probably most of the 4wd tracks up here (born & bred Cairns lad, drives a single cab Landcruiser ute)
Daughter wants to buy a landcruiser dual cab ute for her next car, hasn't even got her licence! Hasn't even driven the car we got her yet! In her defence, we've only just bought it and it's at the mechanics getting some stuff done for roadworthy.

Back