1968 Pontiac GTO

carljwnc

Emeritus Forum Staff
My Grandfather bought this car for my Aunt when she was a Sophomore in college. She drove it for many years, then when she moved on to other vehicles, granddad held on to it and continued to drive it pretty much up until the day he died. It has been re-painted once, and had the top replaced once, but other than that it is pretty much all original as it rolled off the showroom floor. Many great memories riding around in it as a kid, and very grateful that it has remained in the family. I just had to take a trip for work up to near where my Aunt lives and finally got a few pics of it. I still haven't gotten to drive it yet though. We would have taken it to dinner, but it had been sitting for a while and needed air in the tires, and we didn't have time.

IMG_0109_zps21795736.jpg

IMG_0108_zps4566c27b.jpg

Odometer has rolled over once...
IMG_0106_zps95592dc4.jpg

Hurst shifter with a gate to a 3sp 'manual' option.
IMG_0103_zpse38d1b35.jpg

I've mentioned this badge to many folks who have doubted its existence, given the age of an American car, no one thinks the displacement would be listed in Litres. I say :raspberry:
IMG_0102_zps7506fc46.jpg

Fail, just didn't get a good pic of the whole car, so this will have to do...
IMG_0101_zpsd4989c61.jpg

IMG_0100_zps5e2a149f.jpg

IMG_0099_zpscfda1122.jpg

IMG_0098_zps3b100347.jpg

It is a little rough around the edges here and there, but it fired right up and runs and sounds great, definitely a big V-8 rumble. Next time...I drive.

Very nice Carl. It's good to see that the Goat is still in such great condition and still in the family.
Pontiacs hold a special place for me as well, my 1st car was a '74 LeMans. Your kids are very lucky to have their great grandpas and families car to experience. There's something about the way old cars smell that takes me back every time I open the doors.
Thanks for postin'.

What a beauty mate :raz:

And I have to say it looks in fantastic condition for it's age indeed :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Very nice Carl. It's good to see that the Goat is still in such great condition and still in the family.
Pontiacs hold a special place for me as well, my 1st car was a '74 LeMans. Your kids are very lucky to have their great grandpas and families car to experience. There's something about the way old cars smell that takes me back every time I open the doors.
Thanks for postin'.

I think at this point, there is no way this car will ever go up for sale. There are too many people in the family who share my feelings about it. Of course, I'm sure that my Aunt's daughter and her family will end up with it eventually.:evil:

Because of this car, my Aunt has always pretty much always owned Pontiacs, she was telling me she is sad, because her current LeMans GT will be her last since the line has been discontinued.

It's funny that you mentioned the smell, one thing that could stand to be replaced in the car is the carpet (it's really not to bad given the age, but a little rough). My Aunt says she really doesn't want to replace it because she doesn't want to lose the smell. It does smell great.:ebiggrin: Very classic old car smell.

Thanks folks!!! I know I have mentioned this car several times over the years here, glad I finally have some photos of it. Wish I had had more time and a better camera, but I'll get there again.:cool:

Noice! Not many of them getting around in that condition anymore!

Cheers

Bennie

Back