Trailer touring pros and cons

Barry

Forum Member
This thread started life as my search for a link on the site to the 'Pod Trailer'.

Thanks to Kevin I found the link, and assessed the pros and cons of what it offered.

In the process it occurred to me that what I (and possibly other noobs) needed was a thread to assess pros and cons of family touring with / without trailers, so I suggested to Kevin that the thread be moved to the camping area.

I'll keep putting up my thoughts as they progress towards what we (me and 2 teenage kids) take on our 'Cameron Corner' trip in October.

Last edited:
Kevin, is it you who is part owner in one of these?
If so, what do you think of them?
What would you think of towing with a 05MY OB (4 cyl.) on a trip to Cameron's Corner and back?
Comments from others also appreciated.
The whole 'kaboodle' would run to between $10,000 - $12,000.
Am wondering at opportunity cost compared with just lightweight car camping - i.e. limited to 2 person tents, rear load space and roof pod, and maybe a roof mounted awning.
A trailer would limit access to some places, so the car-only rig would be more versatile, just a bit more cramped.
Nothing new in that trade off, but would be interested in what others think.

Nope not me; and I prefer to not tow anything but the OB would handle the pod trailer without any problems. I think these trailers are very expensive for a bunch of recycled soft drink bottles :iconwink:

Before I got my Columbus roof camper, I used a Thule rooftop pod (900L I think) and a touring tent. The combination worked well. I carried bedding (self inflating matresses) and my 2nd spare wheel in the pod.

I agree re cost Kevin, could fund front and rear bull bars and probably an Engell fridge as well for that!

I have a Rola 360 roof pod, and wouldn't want to put much more than that on the roof rails. (Speaking of which I definitely wouldn't want the 10MY OB with the integral 'pop out' roof racks, look worse than useless!) Anyway, the roof camper option would be out for the OB, as it has no roof gutters.

Hiking tents are also more versatile than roof / trailer campers, as they give better private space - especially for teenage girls with younger brothers!

To provide some space with headroom I'm looking at a roof mounted awning with side walls / a rear 'screen' to go around the rear door when open. Either will allow space to set up seats and roll-up tables.
This link, provided by Eastie, looks promising for an affordable roof awning. https://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/
Picture of Easties example here:- https://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=168
Should get this 'headroom' set up for under $200, tents are then just for sleeping.

Last edited:
Have now established that Autosafe ('Tradesman' brand) rear cargo barrier will fit my Sunroof 'Safety' (curtain airbag) OB. Will fit the 'half barrier' version. Not only will this allow me to carry long objects with the seat backs lowered, it will also let me 'bandicoot' (burrow into) the load while on tour, by lowering the seat back.

IMO one thing that the Subaru doesn't do well is roof top awnings. The car just isn't tall enough. You can sit under them and move around under them but you can't stand under them so if you're looking for "headroom", you might want to take that into consideration.

FWIW I have a rear awning from www.danbricanvas.com Very impressed with the product and the service.

Your right apsilon, I sure miss the height of the old split screen kombis (the ones on stilts with reduction boxes on the drive wheels).

Being able to sit in a chair in the shade to cook, eat drink ;)etc is still a big improvement on just having the hike tents.

Maybe this is a 'reason' to think about a lift kit!:lildevil:

Thanks for the link to Danbricanvas. I'll have a look at their site.

My 'GoGo' camper, made by 'Weekender'.

Following the 'Cameron Corner' camping trip I 'weakened' and purchased a small camper trailer.
My chief criteria were relatively small and light - so I can still get up 'back tracks'. Hope to get up into the Victorian High Country.
As a stroke of luck, it also has a track width pretty close to that of the Outback, which should also make it feasible to tow on sand. :biggrin:

First time I have ever read this thread.
I bought a Podtrailer last August after years of tenting and stuffing things into the car and after 35,000km of towing in the last year I know I made the right choice for me. I chose the Podtrailer in the end because it offered top quality and durability with intelligent, useable design and light weight. I got the extended chassis with eye-to-eye 5 leaf springs, 14" wheels, kitchen, annex (only used once), 60L water tank, extra plastic storage box on front with spare then under the trailer (never have had to use but I can get it up and down on my own), kayak bars on top, LED lights, gas holder on side rear, 2 20L fuel container mounts on the sides and Trigg swivel hitch. Cost $12200 delivered and there is nothing I would change to the specs if I was doing it again. I'm happy to use an esky with ice and I have a 12 volt, 12 amp deepcycle battery for lighting that I charge from the outlet in the back of the Foz. I have never had to use it for more than 3 nights without charging but it has never gone flat. The trailer only weighs 350kg loaded with another 100kg for water/fuel. The Foz XT hauls it with ease - at least as quick as our V6 Camry moves with no load at all. It has also proved to be dust tight and trouble free - have just got back from doing the Gibb River & Tunnel Creek Roads in the Kimberleys - 650km of corrugations, stones and dust. I didn't get the mesh stone protector and have found because of the shape of the plastic storage unit on the front and the shape of the plastic tub that stones don't get deflected back onto the car. It is just incredibly stable to tow - has been up to 170km/h - and I don't even have to touch the 12ft kayak I put on top when the pod is opened to put up the tent part. When the pod is closed there is plenty of room on top of the folded tent to put our fold-up table, chairs etc and there is also extra room in the tub next to the slide out kitchen and slide out storage box that sits next to it. The podtrailer web site needs to be upgraded and does not show the latest type of tent (no ropes/pegs needed unless using the annex although i do peg the bottom 4 corners if it is a bit windy) or kitchen unit with different mounting of tap and aluminium swing down doors that cover the drawers and are held in place by magnets. It has easy connections to the water tank and gas bottle. We have room to spare and only use the car to carry the esky and an extra spare tyre in the back of the Foz.

My wife and I know we got the best towing option to suit our needs for the money. Kevin's throwaway line about it being just recycleable plastic bottles is only part of the story but the real shock/horror is I believe a bloody Kiwi designed it.....lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Guzzla. The Pod is a very well thought out design design. Would be good to see some pics.
BTW, have you come across myswag.org - a great camper trailer site and very friendly, much like OBS.
Would be great to see another Subi over there. There are a few of us who aren't into big trucks and 1 tonne+ campers.

"but the real shock/horror is I believe a bloody Kiwi designed it.....lol"

Ahhh, now I understand, they were trying to build a boat to get to Australia! :lol:

Thanks for the post Guzzla. Would be good to see some pics.
BTW, have you come across myswag.org - a great camper trailer site and very friendly, much like OBS.
Would be great to see another Subi over there. There are a few of us who aren't into big trucks and 1 tonne+ campers.
Thanks Barry. No but I have seen it now and have joined up. Looks like it offers lots of useful info. As far as photos - I do have some but I'm pretty useless with the computer and never seem to be able to get anything posted up. Must get the help of my computer literate brothers and do something about it. I have pics of my Pod and Foz in places all across Aust.

No, I'm definately not into big 4WD's but appreciate they have their place in travel and I won't modify unless necessary. I do a big distance in my Foz and enjoy its on road higher performance side too and am thankful some of those characteristics make it such a suitable tow vehicle for lightweight trailers like I own.

One of the things I always say about having a camper trailer is you don't have to stay in it if the weather becomes too unbearable and there is a cheap/convenient motel/cabin available but I've only ever taken that option once. Who could pass up a $60 motel room when it is 8pm and pouring rain and you still can't find a suitable campsite?

May as well bring this thread to life with my latest purchase, its an old Jayswan tare 750k and in immaculate condition. Itsa project of love that will take awhile including a whole new paint job, draw bar extensions etc etc. Having said that its good to go as is.

I was speaking to a person the other week who was towing a new Jayco Eagle (200kg heavier) with a 2000 N/A Fozza and he said with the WDH and not loading the thing up with junk he had no trouble touring it, so that lead me to my decision to purchase the one i did for very little $$ in immaculate condition that will well do me for years of travel to come. It will see some outback roads and tracks but not serious offroad.

I still have my tents etc if need be, but i can find a spot set up in 15 and enjoy a coldy in comfort.

The Foz will only be around probably another 2 yrs and then i am going for a twin cab diesel ute, i really miss my old one.

Last edited:
Tony, I'm looking forward to an ORS 'camping catch-up' when you have this up and running. Maybe early next summer? Perhaps a 'cup weekend' trip? Anyone else up for it? Note: camper trailer not compulsory. :)

Hope to be doing some shakedowns about September or so mate, even before. I actually only need the tow bar and the WDH on the Foz and good to go.

Tassie is going to suck up a bit of cash so i will need to recover from that and the purchase of the camper i didnt intend making before i even start the next stage, thats changing from 13" solid to 14" Sunraysier rims and some 8ply LT tyres.

Back from my Tassie trip and have started to do some work on the Goose sorry Swan. At the moment i am stripping out all the old seals and sealer and re-doing the lot. I have a few parts gathering here at the moment and some ideas on the table re suspension for the camper. The gas axe will be out in the next few weeks and after the smoke clears she should have a new hub to hub electric brake setup 6 leaf springs and be alot higher off the ground.

he Foz is going to need a stiffer set of rear springs but i will worry about that after i get the new heay duty tow bar and the WDHitch setup.

Followed a Foz the same as mine in Tassie for awhile and he was towing a new Swan Outback and was doing it easy. I asked him about any problems and he said he needed Lo range on a take off up in the hills out of Queenstown and i can understand why.

Al lin all am looking forward to this old goose and the Foz getting out and about.

Welcome home mate. Would love to hear about you adventures in Tassy when you get a chance. :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back