OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Planned Trips

Notices

Unread 7th June 2019, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

Yep. I did the Oodnadatta (in flood and rain) and the Flinders Ranges from Wilpena to Arkaroola to Lake Frome and then to Yunta on roadies. Not a problem was had.

Tibooburra - Cameron corner - Coongie lakes (the dune track around the back) - Currawinya - Thargomindah - Dowling track also was a road tyre trip. Not a puncture nor any issues with traction.

I did the Darling River run in our campervan with 10 year old light truck roadies.

I do have ATs now, but once they wear out I'll go back to roadies. I bought the ATs for the Simpson but probably didn't need them. They are amazing on soft sand, mud and clay but in all honesty, sand dunes are probably a bit easier with road tyres because the ATs fully bite and dig in whereas the road tyres float over the top, tiny bits of individual wheel slippage are tolerable and it feels more effortless. The other thing is the look, ATs just look great on a Foz or OB I reckon.

I'm not saying one is better than the other in any way....a good tyre is a good tyre. Good tyres make you feel good.
Unread 7th June 2019, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

When I did the Gibb RR in 2016 there was so much tyre repair going on at various stations it led me to ask what was the problem - "people coming out here in brand new 4WDs with highway tyres" was the response.

I agree the the Oodnadatta Track is no problem as I was on it in April. A few years ago I did get a tread edge / sidewall puncture from an Old Ghan railway spike though.
www.subaruclub.com.au
Unread 13th June 2019, 10:35 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2017
Model: Outback 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
hhouston6 is on a distinguished road

UPDATE:
I've installed the Subaxtreme sump guard and had the Kings Springs installed. The rear springs have lifted the rear about an inch by the looks of things. I didn't have a good before photo so I just tried to capture the car in the same place as the previous photo for a comparison. You can see how much higher the car is sitting at the rear wheel well in the second photo. Both photos are with the car with no load in the rear.

I've also added the Thule roof racks which attach to the factory roof racks. Thule aerobars, Thule 753 foot pack and Thule 4063 fitting kit. Got it all second hand. I have installed onto this an Adventure Kings Awning (with awning tent).

I've installed a Kickass 120AH battery pack and wiring kit from Australiandirect.com.au, with an Adventure Kings 120w solar blanket, and a Dometic CFF45 fridge.

I've got a fold up camp kitchen from drifta.com.au which is amazing. The Drifta Camp Kitchen. It fits in the back of the Outback perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4140.jpg (23.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4148.jpg (24.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4150.jpg (24.1 KB, 2 views)
Unread Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Have you got the tyres yet? I wouldn't get a light duty all terrain for what you're planning, I think that's very likely to end in disaster with you sitting on the side of the road in some remote area with no spare tyres left

I strongly suggest LT construction ATs. Evenb then you can still get multiple punctures but they are much more likely to cope with the conditions of where you're going

IMO, you can't go past BFG KO2s for touring the outback & remote areas. They're tough & proven on the harsh outback roads

Kumho AT51 also have LT in some sizes. Not sure what others. But you need LT tyres!!!

Also, when are you going? It gets dangerously hot there in summer

You had Kings raised springs fitted? I'm sorry, you're going to hate them on the corrugations. I had Kings raised springs on my Foz doing the Subaru Extreme 8 Deserts Challenge. Because they are so stiff they don't absorb any of the rattles & literally shake the car & everything in it to pieces. This is a list of what broke, purely from the corrugations:
windscreen
satnav/GPS
central locking
air conditioning (this was a big problem, without it you need to drive with the windows open so everything inside gets covered in dust)
reverse switch on gearbox
phone (yes even my phone!)