OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Under the Bonnet/Hood > Engine Swaps

Notices

Unread 5th July 2018, 09:48 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WD Foz View Post
A
Would an EJ22E ecu be plug and play in your current setup?
I would definitely look into an ecu swap if its Plug and Play.
The wiring is different. I don't think it would be too hard to splice the EJ22E ECU into the EJ20J wiring loom if you have the wiring diagrams for both
Unread 5th July 2018, 10:43 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
The wiring is different. I don't think it would be too hard to splice the EJ22E ECU into the EJ20J wiring loom if you have the wiring diagrams for both
Moving it from engine bay to cab could be a bit of a challenge depending on how much movement/wiring there is before the factory ECU. I'd be concerned about "weather proofing" the wire splice work AndyT the plugs.

It would be cool to see if there is any difference in performance or anything missing from the older ECU to run such as extra purge control solenoids for emissions stuff. That could cause an issue.

@NachaLuva - I'm surprised you haven't welded up a larger exhaust yourself already! Last time I saw your foz (too long ago!) it still sounded like an ej20 from the factory Unleash some subi beat mate!!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 6th July 2018, 02:27 AM
Forum Member

Year: 98
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ahh ok i might give that a miss for now and run the Ej22E off the EJ20J loom and ECU best i can.
After you gave the EJ20J Ecu time to "learn"..... it worked for you right mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Moving it from engine bay to cab could be a bit of a challenge depending on how much movement/wiring there is before the factory ECU. I'd be concerned about "weather proofing" the wire splice work AndyT the plugs.
After NL informing me my EJ20J ecu... that sits in my engine bay is waterproof, the EJ22E ecu would really have to be worth it to undertake such detailed re-wiring plus re-waterproofing the donor ecu and connectors, but then i don't like wiring lol

Quote:
would be cool to see if there is any difference in performance or anything missing from the older ECU to run such as extra purge control solenoids for emissions stuff. That could cause an issue.
Would be very interested to see what gains could be had.

Quote:
@NachaLuva - I'm surprised you haven't welded up a larger exhaust yourself already! Last time I saw your foz (too long ago!) it still sounded like an ej20 from the factory Unleash some subi beat mate!!

Cheers

Bennie
I wonder if the standard EJ20J exhaust was any more restrictive than the standard EJ22E exhaust...... assuming NL has the EJ20J exhaust hooked up to the EJ22E exhaust manifold on his EJ22E donor engine?
Either way a bigger exhaust would do you wonders I would think, even better if you can make it yourself!

1WD
Unread 6th July 2018, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WD Foz View Post
After you gave the EJ20J Ecu time to "learn"..... it worked for you right mate?
It ran fine from 1st startup & did improve with time. I'll be interested how you find it

Quote:
I wonder if the standard EJ20J exhaust was any more restrictive than the standard EJ22E exhaust...... assuming NL has the EJ20J exhaust hooked up to the EJ22E exhaust manifold on his EJ22E donor engine?
I used pretty much all my stock EJ20J ancilliaries, incl intake & exhaust manifolds. The EJ22E has exactly the same ports, bolt patterns, etc, so everything bolts right up

Make sure you read this thread thoroughly, as you need to swap the crank sprocket & sensor for the EJ20J ECU to be able to read it
Unread 6th July 2018, 08:28 AM
Forum Member

Year: 98
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It ran fine from 1st startup & did improve with time. I'll be interested how you find it

I used pretty much all my stock EJ20J ancilliaries, incl intake & exhaust manifolds. The EJ22E has exactly the same ports, bolt patterns, etc, so everything bolts right up

Make sure you read this thread thoroughly, as you need to swap the crank sprocket & sensor for the EJ20J ECU to be able to read it
Thats great to hear NL, Ill let you know for sure mate.
What sort of k's are you getting to a tank these days?

Ive been reading your 2 threads on EJ22 swap extensively over the last few days
Very grateful you made the time to upload pics and explain how you tackled this for others like myself to use later on, cheers mate.
And ill definitely remove the EJ20J crank sprocket and sensor and re-install it on the EJ22 while i have both engines out so i don't encounter any issues.

If your using the same dimension stock exhaust I would imagine it shouldn't feel like its lacking as such. Are any of the other EJ22 swap's your comparing your own with running stock exhaust?
Ill put my money on a new exhaust will satisfy your needs, if not maybe s/c??

Cheers NL

1WD
Unread 6th July 2018, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

The other EJ22E swaps I'm comparing to have been using a full EJ22E swap including intake manifold, ECU, etc & with a new high flow exhaust

Tags
ej-22 into sf forester, engine swap, engine swap forester