OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 9th August 2018, 02:30 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

If he is essentially going off road, a front plated is probably a better choice but if he stays mostly on the road, I think that a helical is the way to go.

Plated need more oil change and depending on the use or abuse, the discs wear off and need to be re-setup (sorry, cant find the right word !) meaning to open the gearbox.
Unread 9th August 2018, 03:44 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Yes, that’s the downside. Interesting comparing the Forester with my wrx. The wrx runs the Subaru STI plated rear diff and is used almost only on the skidpan and getting to and from the track. Last year it did less than 2,000km. The diff gets a hell of a road workout and it’s oil goes black very quickly. I have decided to change the oil annually. There have been times out on the skidpan when the diff has opened up and I think it’s because of the dirty oil. The diff has been in there for 6 seasons, half of them double entered so you could say 9 seasons. So far the plates are fine (with clean oil) and haven’t given trouble or feel like they are in need of attention.

The Forrie travels further, and I drained the oil twice in the time I had a plated rear diff and on both occasions it was showing only slight discolouration if any.

Based on this experience I think that off road work is less taxing on the clutch packs of the diff than motorsport and if I can get effectively 9 years and counting out of them then I would expect to get many more from off road use.
Unread 9th August 2018, 03:45 PM
Forum Member

Yes, thatís the downside. Interesting comparing the Forester with my wrx. The wrx runs the Subaru STI plated rear diff and is used almost only on the skidpan and getting to and from the track. Last year it did less than 2,000km. The diff gets a hell of a road workout and itís oil goes black very quickly. I have decided to change the oil annually. There have been times out on the skidpan when the diff has opened up and I think itís because of the dirty oil. The diff has been in there for 6 seasons, half of them double entered so you could say 9 seasons. So far the plates are fine (with clean oil) and havenít given trouble or feel like they are in need of attention.

The Forrie travels further, and I drained the oil twice in the time I had a plated rear diff and on both occasions it was showing only slight discolouration if any.

Based on this experience I think that off road work is less taxing on the clutch packs of the diff than motorsport and if I can get effectively 9 years and counting out of them then I would expect to get many more from off road use.
Unread 9th August 2018, 11:29 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Would you not call off-roading motorsport?
Unread 10th August 2018, 11:07 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
Would you not call off-roading motorsport?
No, you're not timed and there's no official competition to thrash your off-roader out in the bush unless YOU want to (not good for the environment).

Motorsport such as what Rally mentions is working the drivetrain almost beyond maximum for 98% of the event if not more. We're talking high temps, loads of friction and a general torturing of the drivetrain.

While we might torture our offroader's drivetrain, it's more than likely in short bursts or events with the aim of being able to still drive some (potentially a long) distance to get home.

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 10th August 2018, 08:59 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

It's an interesting debate over what activities should be classified as sport and there is quite a wide spread of opinions. The Australian Sports Commission defines a sport as: “a human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organization, is competitive and is generally accepted as being a sport.”

I would say that off road driving is a human activity capable of achieving a result. It does require physical exertion (at times and low level) and skill and there are situations where it is competitive. Whether it is generally accepted as a sport, who would know?

The aspect of competition is the one that is questionable in general off-road driving as it is not "organised". Put two blokes in 4 wheel drives at the bottom of a steep hill and there will be an unspoken competition but it isn't organised.

I guess if motorkhanas or hill climbing are sports the off-road equivalent could be mud racing or rallycross. Recreational off-road driving would be equivalent to doing donuts in the industrial estate at midnight except it'll legal (usually).
Unread 12th August 2018, 05:18 AM
Forum Member

Is off roading a sport? Not really. There are no winners. There are no rules apart from road rules and laws affecting national parks, state forests, etc.
Unread 13th August 2018, 06:22 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Offroading can be sport if it's competitive...

IMO the ultimate offroad gearbox is 4.44 diffs with 5th gear & speedo drive to match, 1.447 low range, Cusco front clutch LSD, DCCD centre with manual controller

For the front LSD, helical is best for onroad manners, a clutch front LSD has terrible power understeer depending on what setting you have it on. Cusco is a direct bolt in, all other clutch LSDs needs to be modified

Clutch LSD is best for offroad as it still sends torque to the wheel on the ground when the other wheel is lifted. To do that with a helical diff, you need to drive through the brakes
Unread 13th August 2018, 06:56 AM
Forum Member

Clutch type diffs are better than helical, and some are better than others. However, the only time I have needed to be towed out was when the clutch type lsd wasn’t strong enough, even though both wheels were on the ground.

Tags
1.19, 1.44, conversion, forester, low range