OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Recovery Gear and Offroad Driving Tips

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
You will find that most weld failures occur not on the weld, but on the metal next to the weld.
True.
Quote:
Aluminum structures can be significantly stronger if joints are glued (with epoxy) and riveted than they would be if welded.
Well there's something I didn't know.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

Well old planes used that for reason

Though when i tried that with new sheet on old rusted one it didint worked.. Haha rust no holds nothing
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

True, but planes are not put together with epoxy or any other adhesive in a structural capacity (unless they are constructed of composites such as carbon fibre). Rivets are used to fix the skin of a plane to the frame when aluminium is used because aluminium is far more difficult to weld than steel. Regardless of the metal concerned, where strength and reliability is important, the quality control processes associated with welding take too much time and cost too much while at the same time, still not providing sufficient guarantee of a perfect join in an industry where safety is of prime importance. Putting a car together is a far less demanding process.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

I would like to get that blue that they put in new cars . could be like liquid nails or liquid bolts or use both.
Recovery points must be on bolts same trailer hitch. But frame that those plates bolt on can be welded sure.
I want to make myself trailer hitch and same make it removable and as recovery point. Saw some great ideas in net , now they procces in my head

Tags
bow shackles, rated components, recovery gear use, recovery point, recovery technique, snatch straps, tow straps