Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Unread 5th December 2018, 12:10 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

well on straight you could do that low like on sand and you dont turn wheel a lot. but yh its no need go lower i guess anyway. i saw people here on fories drive with 14 psi off road and can come back home to city with that.
one time my driver side wheel was slowly lossing air , i didnt checked it for long time and didint even noticed anything too bad , then when i checked i got left 1bar/14psi in driver side, all others where full 33psi about . and nothing happened. depends on tire . street tires you dont wanna do that on hard AT or mud tires you can go very low and it will hold good still.

was cleaning and rearraging my trunk , took about 1 hr . its still a lot stuff there. hi lift jack , extra battery, axe , folded shovel, recovery gear separate bag, all kinda straps, tools, 2 foldable camping chairs , all kinda cleaning brushes, plastic straps.
Unread 5th December 2018, 06:03 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

You need to make sure you have everything well secured. In the event of an accident, especially a rollover, loose gear can be lethal in a wagon.
Unread 5th December 2018, 06:53 PM
Forum Member

well a rollover wouldnt be good anyway wouldnt it ? car is for carying something in it. sure its not safe then, but whats point to drive empty car just because it wouldnt be safer in worse case scenario. dog in car is not safe in rollover as well, it can kill you too.
Unread 5th December 2018, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Even dogs have to be harnessed /secured over here.
Unread 5th December 2018, 08:06 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Even dogs have to be harnessed /secured over here.
I don't think that's law up here in RedneckLand (Queensland). I thought it was, but saw something just the other day..
Unread 5th December 2018, 08:28 PM
Forum Member

they can sure i know and they need to i guess. and yes im securing hilift jack there. battery well some point , but subwoofer box and other stuff there still pretty heavy, cant do nothing about that.
i just imagine how would look overland car with fridges inside and other stuff there, all the radios and things be rolled over. would not be nice picture.
then again what is front steel or aluminum bumper most of you using like from roos ? its just killing tool, imagine hitting person with that thing . why its even legal at all. why any steel bumpers legal anywhere? because some places just dont care i guess.
Unread 5th December 2018, 10:55 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Some people put a cargo barrier behind either the rear seat or the front seats. Because of the way you use your Outback, you would need to have one behind the front seats. The barrier will prevent any loose objects coming into the driver's space in the event of a rollover or a heavy frontal impact.

It doesn't take much to cause serious injury. I know of a case where a ball point pen on the back parcel shelf of a sedan hit the driver in the back of the head in a serious frontal impact and penetrated the skull.

It might seem a lot of trouble to go to but if you ever did have such an accident surely your life is worth what is in reality a small preventative measure.
Unread 6th December 2018, 12:07 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Forester with a EJ22
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

If a bull bar is installed legally
I see it as a better way to protect the front end of your car against wildlife.
Without one fitted you would most definitely end the life of your car at highway speed when hitting a roo for example (been there done that). For sure if you hit someone with a bull bar you would cause serious damage if not death to the person, but most pedestrian vs vehicle deaths result from a front impact with cars not fitted with a bull bar, so while the bull bar would do more damage, distracted and drug/alcohol affected drivers are way more dangerous, and thatís why the insurance companies donít mind bull bars, because they save them a lot of money not having to write off a vehicle, and donít do as much damage compared to a distracted or drug/alcohol affected driver.

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 6th December 2018, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

I try to brake for wildlife. I've had a few close calls with Roos but I just drove slower. I always plan my trips with aim to avoid driving at roo o'clock simply as a risk management measure.

But yes, I use a cargo barrier behind the seats. It can be moved from behind the front seats to behind the back seats to suit whatever your situation might be. I don't want a fridge, battery or tow ball to DOCK me in the head in the event of a rollover or impact. Imagine being killed by a flying lump hammer when you airbags have deployed and your safe Subie protected its driver (you) from the crash.
Unread 6th December 2018, 08:10 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Forester with a EJ22
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road
Default Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

Iíve probably done a lot more than braked for Roos lol
Sometimes veering Offroad and onto the opposite side of the road (when safe to do so) and I do that for rabbits too lol
Hate killing anything for that matter,
Worst I had was a roo jumped out while I was on the freeway doing 110 in the accord and I shifted lanes quite suddenly which nearly sent me into a drift but I managed to control the car well(not recommended at that speed)
But the few Roos Iíve hit jumped out of a bush at the last second and I had no time to react whatsoever which was absolutely terrible to deal with the aftermath, I donít own guns but wish I did in those instances.
What makes matters worse is I predominantly work night shift so avoiding the ďroo timesĒ is not plausible.

Iím seriously considering a cage for the rear of my Forester after this conversation, something I didnít take seriously enough, thanks guys

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk