Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 27th September 2018, 06:01 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

Yes, especially the facelift ones. They have vLSD as standard.
Unread 27th September 2018, 10:32 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

According to the sales brochure for the SG 1 "all models, manual and auto, are now fitted with a viscous limited slip rear differential".
Unread 30th November 2018, 05:28 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2003
Model: SG Forester 2.5X
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
OneSixty is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to buy the SF low range gears online brand new? Would be nice to buy new ones that are probably cheaper than wrecker prices for a full gear box.
Unread 30th November 2018, 07:44 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: SG Forester XS
Transmission: 1.447 Low SG Manual
Red XS is on a distinguished road

Alldrive will sell the SF low range as a kit with gasket goo and anything else you need to do the job. Just contact them for a quote. I suggest ringing instead of Email as they were slack with Email when I contacted them. It's also worth asking if their 1.61 low range is any closer to production. You could also ask them if they can sell a kit for converting from a 4.11 to a 4.44 diff ratio as well if you want a lower diff ratio as well.

https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/g...-transmission/
Unread 30th November 2018, 09:01 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

I got my SF low range by buying a complete gearbox from a lowered SF that was being parted out and advertised on Gumtree. I paid $200 for the box and the low range looked like it had never been used! I ended up getting everything else from All Drive as I did a bearing in the gear box and I didn't have time to wait to get the rest of the bits.
To save money and if you are dealing with ADS you can buy the complete rear diff without the sphere and reuse the one from the 4.11 diff.
You will also need to change the speedo drive if doing the diffs. Whilst you can do the low range only, the additional benefit of changing the diff ratios just makes it a better car to drive. If I did it again I would do exactly the same.
Unread 14th December 2018, 08:56 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSixty View Post
I have also heard about people putting the L-Series low range into the SG Forester gearbox. Would this be as simple as just swapping it over? If it is i'd be surprised.
No, it’s not a straight pull from the L box and put in the SG box job. The L series is an early form of the phase 1 EJ series gearbox. In fact the input shaft housing of the L series box is a direct swap for the Gen1 series 1 gearbox.

But from the G1S2 phase 1 gearbox up to the phase 2 gearbox you need to create an interference bush to fit the L low range input shaft into the bearing and housing of the input shaft bearing.

For all EJ gearboxes the low range hub on the main shaft also needs some meat removed from its splines.

Then there’s the diff crown wheel. 4.111:1 needs a bit of meat shave from the outer section to clear the low range gears. The 4.44:1 needs more meat removed but apparently doesn’t effect the contact area of the pinion gear.

Read more about it here from Phiz’s conversion years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSixty View Post
And, what other options are there to make the low range more like a "real" 4wd's low range?
Only real way to do it is 1.59:1 low range and 4.44:1 diff ratios.

I’ve got an SG box with the low L series low range (the 1.59:1 - the crappy 1.19:1 can be found in the turbo model gearboxes), 4.11:1 diff ratio, front LSD (one side shaved to fit the low range) and L series locking centre diff.

It’s a mint setup, it’s just missing the 4.44:1 diff ratio.

The L series low range is well worth the effort, you’ll love it. While you’ve got the box split “throw in” some auxiliary oil feeders over the low range gear set, mainly for cooling...

Cheers

Bennie