Unread 29th July 2018, 07:16 PM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road
Default Membership 'Status'

At the risk of sounding ageist...

I don't feel like a senior member.

I think membership status should require more than just the number of posts that have been made. Perhaps a formula using a combination of threads started, posts per year and length of membership would be a better solution.

And at the risk of becoming facebooky perhaps some kind of rating system on 'helpfulness' of posts & threads would be good. This could make searching for useful information easier,
Unread 29th July 2018, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

There is a "reputation" option already - you can add to a member's reputation by clicking on the scales icon.

Length of membership can be gauged but I think threads started or posts per year is not something that is a part of the "promotion" system but I will check.

I have been considering making some changes to the promotion system so thanks for the input!
Unread 29th July 2018, 08:00 PM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

I feel the same as Ben. I just noticed I am suddenly a senior member and I'm really just a newcomer. I think length of membership needs to be a qualifier. I would think a year or two of membership should be required regardless of the number of posts before senior member status is achieved.

Number of posts is not the best gauge anyway as a post can simply be a single word in response to someone else's post. I tend to agree with Ben too that threads started would be more indicative of a member's value contributions. This raises another issue in that it is difficult to figure out how to start a new thread in some cases. I posted yesterday with some photos of our club member's cars but it wasn't easy to figure out where that post should go. Would it be possible, when starting new threads, to have to check a few boxes indicating what the thread content is about and the site then uses those criteria to decide where to put the thread?
Unread 29th July 2018, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

@Beachworm The intelligence you suggest is probably possible but would require a lot of non-standard code which admin are not prepared to support as it would interfere with future updates.

If in doubt about a thread location just post it wherever you wish and if necessary it can be moved - just as I have moved this and your referenced thread

Thanks for your suggestions re rankings.