• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Jack's Journey, another Poverty Pack

Q2u5UhN (2).jpg
Jack is a one owner since new (me!) SG MY04 Forester X.
He's served us well over the years, mostly as a daily driver for SWMBO with a few camping trips towing a 7'x4' light off road camper trailer as well as board carrier and shuttle bus for the kids.
The last 18 months He's been reduced to Camper Trailer puller & Mal/Nipper (surf lifesaving) board carrier.
About 8 months back, SWMBO started raising discussions about trading Jack in on "Something Else" to the value of about $15 - 20ksecond hand, hiluxy sort of thing as she felt Jack was getting a little worn out.
This was to be used predominantly as a shuttlebus, camper trailer tower & board carrier mind you, but with a view to more adventurous touring..

With a little bit of effort, I managed to convince her that Jack was not in fact terribly worn out (backed up by the mechanic thankfully) but just needed a bit of a spruce up.

And thus the journey begins..

Last edited by a moderator:
Popped down to visit the cassowaries in Etty Bay again. 3 days of no mobile phone reception. absolute bliss.

It's good to see kids being kids and not burying their heads in mobile devices.

Brief stop in Innisfail so daughter could get a thickshake
iF4mz2rh.jpg

At Etty Bay Campground
Jcbtuo4h.jpg

Only set up half the camper because it was just two days, although could have done with the extra shade (as well as protection from the really really heavy dew)

Cassowary Dad with youngun in the background (it looks like its standing on the blue plate on the table, but it's not)
hCpmzpmh.jpg

Beautiful part of the best place to live. :D

I've decided to swap the axle on the trailer back above the springs. It's a bit too high now, had to deflate the tires so I could peg the tent down!

And now it seems about 4 inches lower..

On another note, re-did the grill yesterday.
l0uMzarh.jpg

Pretty crappy pic, soz.
cheapy grill from Autobarn. Probably going to do it again in heavier aluminium so it's more solid.

Plus.. I've been monitoring the coolant temperature. And it's high (well seems to be.. But I've not got anything really to compare it too). So I think I'm going to replace the thermostat.

Finally got around to replacing the gussets today. I've been putting it off for about 6 months..
Also put the replacement sunroof frame in the SVX! woohoo!

Old one removed:
T0bndCxh.jpg

New one in place:
yjTL1AMh.jpg

In the second pic you get a good impression of what the sun does here by looking at the sheepskin seat covers. They used to be all dark grey (that you can see at the bottom of the seat).

With any luck I'll be picking up an SF gearbox today for a reasonable price.
Then I'll have the joy of pulling something apart in the hope that one cog is good. :)

Assuming the low range is in reasonable nick - actually even if it isn't, I'll have the rest of the gearbox to give away if someone wants bits - you'll have to pay postage though. :)

Darn it. Looks like I have to take the whole car, including motor.
He wants $50.00. I don't have a car trailer - or a car that could tow one!

Thats a bargain but depends if you have the room or time.

I've got the room, I can find the time. I just need an understanding other half!

You need to get a T shirt like I have. Printed on the front in big letters " Just one more Subaru - I promise"

Just got car back from a bit of work:
Heads shaved & new gaskets etc. new clutch, new rear shocks and a few other bibs and bobs.
Still running hotter than I'd like though, coolant got up to 107C going up the Kuranda range according to OBDII dongle, only me in the car.

I'll be taking it for a bit of a run next weekend with a reasonable load in it and some hilly bits, will see how it performs.

Dunno what to do next, I'm worried the motor is cooked and I've just wasted a ton of money on it. Seems to run fine, just hot. :(

Your lights are blocking almost all the airflow through your radiator ...

Someone else here had the same lights and the same overheating problem. Removed the lights, overheating vanished.

Well "spotted" Ratbag (pun intended) :iconwink:

I could see about 105C when really really pushing up a steep hill with S bends (Lapstone Hill for those that know it) but not when taking it a a leisurely pace.

Your lights are blocking almost all the airflow through your radiator ...

Someone else here had the same lights and the same overheating problem. Removed the lights, overheating vanished.

Nope. This testing is with the lights off the vehicle. Have done a lot of testing and makes virtually no difference to temperature when going up hills (at 50-60kph) Reasonably steep gradient.

Does make a bit of difference at speed during the heat of the day on the open road (2 - 3deg C), but seeing as I don't need them on during the day, I'm good with taking them off.

Have you replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor? Mine had the same issue, would run hot, but only when going up decent grades on the highway (E.g Mooney Mooney on the Pacific Highway at 100-110/kmh). Because the sensor was going crooked, the ecu wasn't triggering the High Fan Speed.

You could also try replacing the 3 Fan relays and the fuses.

Another thing to look into is your under body/engine air dam. Removing it can have a drastic impact on air flow through the radiator.

It’s also worth checking your radiator for bugs, leaves and other debris, especially between the rad and the AC condenser.

Cheers

Bennie

Have you replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor? Mine had the same issue, would run hot, but only when going up decent grades on the highway (E.g Mooney Mooney on the Pacific Highway at 100-110/kmh). Because the sensor was going crooked, the ecu wasn't triggering the High Fan Speed.
I'm getting the reading from the coolant sensor, so I'm guessing it's not that.

You could also try replacing the 3 Fan relays and the fuses.

Sounds like a plan. I didn't know there are two speeds on the fans, perhaps the high speed relay has failed..?

Another thing to look into is your under body/engine air dam. Removing it can have a drastic impact on air flow through the radiator.
I haven't cut that off. :)

It’s also worth checking your radiator for bugs, leaves and other debris, especially between the rad and the AC condenser.

Cheers

Bennie

Looks clean as a whistle, but I can't see between the ac condenser and the radiator. should I be able to?
edit: it's as clean as a whistle between the condenser and the radiator

Last edited:
Back