Camping close to Sydney

Bumper

Hi All,

I asked this on the old site and got some great replies but now I'm ready to go camping I can't find the info.

I'm looking for some camping sites close to Sydney (so I can spend my time relaxing rather than driving to the place:p).

1. I remember there was a nifty place down near woolongong/kiama/nowra way - down by a river. Does anyone know the place?

2. Another suggestion was also by a river north of Sydney and a place the Soob club goes regularly - can't remember it either.

3. Any other suggestions also appreciated!

You may want to try this link, Camping Grounds

2. Another suggestion was also by a river north of Sydney and a place the Soob club goes regularly - can't remember it either.
If its the place I think it is, it's called Burralow Creek Camping Ground.
Its up around Kurrajong, just off Bells Line Of Rd, about an hour & a half (90 mins) from where I am (I'm at NorthRyde)
Burralow

Regards
Mr Turbo

I'll be taking a look at this place in a few weeks. I'm camping at Yalwal/Danjera Dam (which might be where you're thinking of anyway Bumper) and Coolendel is just nearby so thought I'd take a look while in the area as I have some friends who won't camp without a raised bed :rolleyessarcastic: so thought this might satisfy everyone as they can stay in the cabins and others can camp.

Coolendell is great. Really good fishing (last trip got my biggest bass there, 52cm) plenty of room, this time of year is pretty quiet, and heaps of tracks to drive nearby. Its a good place to take people who like a few creature comforts. Danjera Dam has a camp ground as well, its free, but does fill up with dirt bike riders. Then there's always the option of bush camps, plenty of great spots to roll out a swag down there!

....but does fill up with dirt bike riders.

Tell me about it, I've almost had one as an imprint on the bonnet twice. Still a nice area. I've paddled up the river as far as I could before it became too shallow, it's a really nice area. I'm going to paddle up there and spend a night at some point.

Sydney has lots of spots on its frontiers. The Watagans are an hour from the northern suburbs. 90 minutes to the west, there is Newnes Plateau, and further on there is Jemolan Caves out to Kanangra Walls. To the south there is the Shoulhaven.

Coolendell. That's it! Thanks guys. I looked at Yalwal but it seems too many dirt bikes there for my frayed nerves. I want peace and quiet when I head bush :p. At least Coolendel bans bikes.

I'd thought of Jenolan/Kanangara but it's begining to get a bit cool up that way now so I thought I'd go a bit coastal this time as I've only got time for an overnighter.

Thanks for the tips guys. :biggrin:

Hey, what about a sticky of "cool places to camp around..." your favourits city/destination? How about it Mods? :poke:

Hey, what about a sticky of "cool places to camp around..." your favorite city/destination? How about it Mods? :poke:

I think we might be able to come up with something like that.:raspberry: But, it'll cost 'ya!!! If the thread title is pretty clear and concise, and there is good info in the posts (like this thread), just poke us with a stick :poke: or send us a PM with a link to the thread and we'll 'stick' it to 'ya!!!:lol:

We'll start with this one.:)

Kerri, that's why you build nice big camp fires. It's not just to keep the drop bears at bay you know!!

I'd thought of Jenolan/Kanangara but it's begining to get a bit cool up that way now so I thought I'd go a bit coastal this time as I've only got time for an overnighter.

Kerri, that's why you build nice big camp fires. It's not just to keep the drop bears at bay you know!!
I'll second that Rally, (within reason of course) as there's nothing better than sitting next to a nice big campfire to keep yourself warm on a cold night when your out camping. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

I'd nominate Euroka Campground, which is just at the back of Glenbrook in the lower Blue Mountains.

When I went to check it out on Good Friday it was busy with Easter campers but it's a big ground so probably not too crowded on the average weekend. Some great lookouts and walks in the near vicinity as well. I found out about this place from a feature in a recent Overlander 4wd magazine. Just a short drive past the end of the M4 so quite an easy run from Sydney. Some info here: https://www.greaterbluemountainsdrive.com.au/glenbrook.php

I'll second that Rally, (within reason of course) as there's nothing better than sitting next to a nice big campfire to keep yourself warm on a cold night when your out camping. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Drop Bears? Hmmm, more worried about Yowies and feral wombats, but I got the wombat probelm licked - I bought a camping hammock so they can't reach me now :lol:. Mind you, I guess the drop bears could land on the hammock instead. I wonder what they are like BBQ'd :twisted:

've always meant to go to Euroka, but somehow it always seemed a little too close to Sydney - now I'm being fussy! Still, might be perfect for a shakedown run. I can always go home if there's too many things dropping from the trees:p

feral wombats

I had a close encounter with one of the wombat residents at Yalwal one night. Had to get up for a call of nature, unzipped the tent and on all 4 started crawling out only to come face to face with a now grunting wombat. Literally 10cm away :lol: Don't know what it was doing. Must have been just standing there as I'd laid awake trying not to get up for a good 10min and didn't hear anything and should've that close to my head. I was just happy that it charged off away and not ahead as they usually do which would've put it in the tent with my mates (though that would've been hilarious once I was outside).

Come to think of it I've had several close encounters at Yalwal. Was almost bowled over by a small roo that came out of the bush I was walking past. Had a bull and two cows come out of some other bushes. Cows trotted off but the bull just stood it's ground staring straight at me. I decided to go back to camp. Wonder what two cows and a bull were doing in the bushes :lol:. Another time came across two feral looking dogs on a track. Turned out friendly but had me a bit worried when they got up and started towards me. Must have lived at the nearby property. Think I might stop going for walks around there.

I'd rather those encounters than waking up with a snake or a drop bear in the swag.

Back on topic, Shallow Crossing is probably starting to get a little too far away to be considered close to Sydney but it's a nice spot, especially if you're looking for somewhere to paddle. Lot of Kookaburra though. Too many to fend off from stealing snags off the barbie on your own :lol:

IMG_0512.JPG

Ooh, that looks pretty. Where is Shallow Crossing? I haven't heard of it before.

Shallow Crossing is nice, but getting a bit far away, just North of Batemans Bay on the Clyde river. South of Pigeon House Mountain, there is some good driving in the area.

Going North you have the Watagans area for camping which Rally mentioned.

Cattai National Park is also out near Richmond.

Last edited:
Yeah as I said, it's starting to get a bit far away. I've done it as an overnighter before but you do lose a lot of time in the car.

I need to check my notes but I think this is it.

Shallow Crossing is nice, but getting a bit far away, just North of Batemans Bay on the Clyde river. South of Pigeon House Mountain, there is some good driving in the area.

Going North you have the Watagans area for camping which Rally mentioned.

Cattai National Park is also out near Richmond.

Batemans bay is a very pretty area. And that reminds me that Pretty beach / Merry Beach is also in the area and well worth a look, just not in school hols :biggrin:

Back