Forum Member
Car Year
2018 / 2008
Car Model
4Runner / Tribeca
Transmission
5EAT
So, what is the tip for reversing?

In 2,500 off-pavement miles in the B9 and the OB, I had not had to reverse due to need until today. Today, the kids and I took what was not expected to be the brutal trail it was.

Speaking of good judgment, we turned around 1.5 mi from summit (Harquahala Peak, I had seen a youtube video, but it showed it smoother than it was today) at a small ledge. I could have negotiated it with desire and patience but had run out of both. Neither of the Z71 Silverados that we saw there were able to get over it at first try. That made me a bit sad about having parked since I thought I could go up with less drama. However, going up is fine, but I did not want to deal with it going down and I knew the tougher part, the descent, was ahead of us. With no spotter and only the kids as a company, I think this was good judgment (we hiked another half a mile but the 4 year old is too much to carry up under the already blazing AZ sun and the road is too slippery for him to walk. I had proper hiking shoes, but the 8-year old is constantly outgrowing his shoes and was slipping all the time in his running ones, LOL, the Subaru on AT tires is WAY better).

So, going down I managed not to hear the skid plates once even though the first 3 miles downhill took me 45 minutes clean driving time. The low oil pressure light came first (and went off), later the low oil light came on--the second time this has happened when descending slowly enough over steep enough terrain (oil was fine).

EXCEPT there was one spot where, when going up, I had gone over the bigger rock (approach angle and clearance up front are maximized) but going down I tried to go over the smaller rock (should have cleaned it out) and got hung on it on the front skid plate (front clearance is minimized downhill, main reason I do not like the descents much). So, I was able to reverse just enough to free the car, position the wheels sideways, get out, remove the rock, and move on.

BUT, I was NOT able to reverse altogether out of the steep spot. True, I did not turn traction control off, but this had never been necessary when climbing (except in deep enough sand or mud). I wish I had tried it, but I did not think about it.

People had raised questions about the CVT's ability to reverse. Well, I am not the only one to consider the 5EAT the best Subaru pre-CVT transmission. I climb stuff at will. But it does not seem that the reverse can do much.

Tips about reversing up a slippery and steep slope? (other than "get the silly rock out of the way ahead of time," thanks :) )

Last edited:
Thinking is rather critical in this sort of situation ...

Having said that, if you are having trouble going up a slope forwards, chances are that it will be even harder in reverse!

No way could we have gone up the Phasmid track at Bunyip. Even trying to reverse was a waste of time. Only way out was down! Frontwards ...

I reckon you made the right decision not to try to proceed.

Reversing off road without a spotter is extremely dangerous. A couple of years back I watched a bloke reverse up hill and slide off a track and if it wasn't for a stump stopping him he would have rolled down a very steep gully.

We are talking a bit past one another, so I deleted my earlier posts. Here is the summary:

Car: 2013 H6 OB 5 EAT

What: Car would not reverse over a loose, mildly rocky, inclined spot that is easily driven over forward with traction control ON and pressures 32/30.

Question:
Why? Reversing was supposed to be a CVT problem. Why could not the 5 EAT pull off what was easy going forward?

Things we know: tire pressures, possibly TC off, putting wheels on bigger stones.

Things to know: why such a discrepancy between forward and reverse on a relatively mild spot? I do not believe the car would have failed to go over that in 2nd. Reverse is about the same ratio as 2nd.

I think the answer may be as simple as a lack of momentum from a standing start in reverse.

Reverse is usually a numerically higher gear then 1st, and it may be just simple physics like was said above.

5EAT (wikipedia)
Gear Ratios:
1st 3.540 2nd 2.264 3rd 1.471 4th 1.000 5th 0.834 Rev 2.370

Does the VDC and Hill-holder (electric), etc operate differently in reverse than forwards?
Does the ECU/TCU/VDC allow the stall converter to put enough revs on the engine to allow it to operate correctly?
i.e left foot on brake, hold the throttle flat you should get ~2500rpm dialed in while stationary

I have never understood why, auto or manual, reverse is a higher ratio than first gear. I use low range with mine and still have to slip the clutch sometimes so I don't go too fast in reverse.

Back