• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

I remember when the internet was a simpler place.

Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
By gum did we have fun back then.:lildevil:

It's a bit like the crazy things we used to do in cars back the day. Suprisingly, most of us survived.:rotfl:

Ben, by the time I was about 20 y.o., 12 (of around 70) of the kids I finished high school with were dead because of road "accidents" ...

No seat belts, no airbags, r/s handling and no brains all contributing factors.

These days kids are taught much more thoroughly, and cars are almost infinitely safer (in most cases).

Ben, by the time I was about 20 y.o., 12 (of around 70) of the kids I finished high school with were dead because of road "accidents" ...

In comparison, 1 of the 200 kids I finished high school with have died in a road accident by the time I was 20

Just a little bit different, SS. And I'm very glad to see the massive drop in (particularly) the 18-25 y.o. (male) death rate p.a.

By gum did we have fun back then.:lildevil:

You mean like dial up? With the squeally modem and parents wanting to make a phone call but you were on the internet so they "couldn't"? even though it was their house :lol:

And the "original" facebook - as in MSN Messenger!! Classic home internet. You'd spend all day with your mates at school, only to get home and jump on Messenger and talk to your mates all night. None of us thought about networking for homework :rotfl:

And I don't know of anyone from my year level that have passed due to a car accident. An old GF of mine wasn't a trusting passenger as over five of her mates had died in one or more road crashes. I think one of them really affected her as she made the decision not to be in that car on that night (good decision!).

And what about mobile phones from back in the day? Who thought we'd be using the internet, well, EVERYWHERE from our mobile device?

Cheers

Bennie

one of my computers at work is still running XP with a 56K dial up as a PC fax.

Yes times when we wrote paper letters and noone could knew where you are at that moment. When pc's at home where for work and we played on home consoles. Life was good full of surprises still.

I remember the good old days before electronic devices of almost any kind. I was a kid before Australia even had TV. Most people didn't have a phone in their home. I had to walk down to the corner and use the big red box and a call cost 2 pennies.

Computers? I never saw a computer until I was in my 30s and then it was an Apple Macintosh with 1 meg of ram and that was the latest super computer. I even used a slide rule for maths calculations until I finished secondary school. Ahh the world has changed and I'm not complaining.

I also recall that there were no Subarus on the roads when I was a young driver, mainly American and English cars along with the Holdens. All wheel drive was just some engineer's dream for family cars and all 4X4 vehicles were Landrovers.

Smoke signals and mirrors worked fine ... :rotfl:.
I used a slide rule in my University English Semantics and Linguistics exams ...

I also remember helping a friend buy one of the first Subarus released in Australia in the 1970s, a Brumby. Great vehicle, wish they still sold them here. The farmers loved them.

My smoke signals usually came from behind the school toilet block!

I too used a slide rule at technical college in my apprentice days. The first mainframe I worked on had 32K, 4 x tape drives and a printer. System messages and Operator input was via push buttons using octal. It used space approx equivalent to a double length double garage.

Yes, Brumbys are fantastic; I still see them sometimes when traveling about.

You mean like dial up? With the squeally modem and parents wanting to make a phone call but you were on the internet so they "couldn't"? even though it was their house :lol:

Cheers

Bennie

You young whipper snapper! I remember bying my first 14.4k Modem (I splurged on the fastest I could get) from this guy called Siom Hacket at some little startup called Internode.

That was more than 10 years after I moved out from home. :iconwink:

I also remember helping a friend buy one of the first Subarus released in Australia in the 1970s, a Brumby. Great vehicle, wish they still sold them here. The farmers loved them.
I remember when they came out. I wanted one sooo bad.
Got my licence in Mums 1980 (maybe 81?) L Series wagon. They guy who took me said at the end that I should have technically failed, but he really liked the car so he passed me. :ebiggrin:

Yes, Brumbys are fantastic; I still see them sometimes when traveling about.

Saw a really nice one just two days ago. I think it lives somewhere near me.

@Ben_Up_North [MENTION=2832]Ratbag[/MENTION] [MENTION=114]Kevin[/MENTION] - ok fellas, it’s not a pissing competition, you need to split this thread as this one is ABOUT THE INTERNET!!! :poke: :rotfl:

:lol:

Cheers

Bennie

:ebiggrin:

Sorry Boss!

Back