X mode on sand

X-Mode and VDC

I asked the question about what would happen if X-Mode was used with VDC turned off, below is the response from Japan via my dealer in Brisbane Bartons

“Hi Nick,

All things come to those who wait….

To sum up, X-Mode increases the AWD bias to the rear so the split is 50-50 Front to Rear. During X-Mode operation if a wheel slips or loses traction, then VDC applies the brake to that wheel (a limited slip diff function of sorts).

If VDC is switched off, VDC and traction control are disabled (ABS, EBD and Brake override are still active)

If X-Mode is used and the VDC is turned off, the wheel slip function is still active because X-Mode and VDC are technically different features. Hill Descent Control (which uses the brakes) is still active.

All controlled through VDC software.

X-Mode functions: Hill Descent Control
50:50 drive split
Softer throttle response to reduce jerkiness over bumps
CVT ratio changes to a lower ratio (similar feel to a manual gearbox transfer case)

Hope this helps the customer.

Have a good day“

I found Bartons to be very helpful, as for Subaru Aust all they would say was via message on FB and via phone was a blanket "turn VDC off and X-mode wont work" that's it.

Pretty poor I thought

And certainly when I have used X-Mode it did feel like low range on a fourbie

Any professional company is only in it for the almighty $$! Anyone saying otherwise is either naive or kidding themselves...

We - the purists - keep saying Subaru has lost the plot and is *******ising the brand. We keep asking for proper low range, decent approach and departure angles, and most of all A NEW BRUMBY. But guess what, they are not doing any of it!

Subaru has never sold more cars in Oz than now, so their strategy is working and paying off!All the execs must be getting a healthy bonus and the big bosses in Japan couldn't be happier...

Just how it is....

X-Mode as far as wheel spin, just applies the brake to the spinning wheel faster than the VDC alone does.
Are you able to turn on x-mode with the VDC off? I would think that it turns VDC back on since it's essentially VDC on steroids.
It also applies a tighter lock between the front and rear differential, about 20% harder than with X-Mode off. What is good on the sand is the reduction in throttle sensitivity so you're less likely to apply too much and cause wheel spin.

Either way, X-Mode is not the best for sand. VLSD would be better since instead of stopping the wheel that is spinning, it somewhat locks the wheels together. Actual lockers would be ideal, but well yeah. That's not an option, and even if someone does make them I doubt anything will ever be done for the SJ or any model with VDC.

Back