• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Lifting the SVX

I see what you're saying, but you can still get it certified. Just a matter of finding an engineer who isn't scared of doing it

Thanks for your confidence, I'll keep persuing this.
I was wondering if I put a spacer betwen the car and the diff it might then make the setup a combination of suspension and body lift..!

I s'pose I'd have to lower the motor and gearbox a touch too. :raz:

Yes, I am a touch 'touched' :biggrin:

I've heard back from my Guru!
I feel pretty chuffed that he responded, from the looks of things he got burnt at another forum (people can be real @r$3401es on the internet, as I'm sure everyone here knows)

All adjustable height coilovers are illegal here, you're not allowed to have adjustable height suspension unless it's from the factory (already passed ADRs). It's not a big deal, plenty of people have them, but it is something cops know to look for

I'd love to seethe regulations, can't find anything about it apart from:
Section LS - Suspension & Steering - Department of Transport and ...

All that seems to say is the usual 50mm max suspension lift, and not allowed to increase travel by more than 1/3 of original.
Nothing about being able not beaing allowed to adjust them lower than the 50mm max lift, but can't adjust higher than the 50mm.
I read that as adjustable shocks are allowed, but you're not allowed to raise them more than the standard allowed suspension height. Likewise when lowered, not allowed to reduce travel by more than 1/3.

Can anyone point me to the relative regulations on this?

Ah-hah!
Found this
But whether it's actually true or not..!

Frome here:
The department permits you to lift or lower your vehicle's ride height by adjusting the suspension. The rebound travel measured between the rubber rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than one third (1/3) of the original manufacturer's specification.

This is classified as a "minor modification", and does not require formal written approval, and can be modified by approval granted by the booklet (All about modifications to motor vehicles) this booklet may be found on the internet at:: Home (Department of Transport and Main Roads), and search for "All about modifications to motor vehicles" refer to page-5./

Seems to me, as long as they bolt straight in with no modifications to the car (but something about the larger load coilerver can have?? don't understand that really, anyone?) I'm good to go.

:)
Have the name of the engineers that did all the work on this guy I knows truck (basically it's a HotRod) so will be getting in touch with them. Will probably contact the department to, seeing as there is a phone number there.

But on the negative... Even if it was true, this dates from 2011, things may well have changed.

Last edited:
department permits many things there , but whos gonna check your car on road ? police ? maybe im wrong but if my car pass MOT means its fit for roads . thats it done. and our MOT rules now same as all EU kinda strict i would say.
so in your area before you modify car you read department rules for that ?

so in your area before you modify car you read department rules for that ?

I do now...
If the car is illegally modified then your insurance is potentially worth nothing and it could be very expensive if you have an accident.
The modifications I've done on my forester need to be certified and a mod plate fitted to ensure that I can still get insurance.
With the SVX, I'm going to try and get all the modifications I'm planning on doing legal. which may get quite expensive when it comes to larger tyres, not sure yet.

Fortunately, the business I've been recommended seems to have quite a bit of experience in this area. :) They've done a very nice Holden ute on a landcruiser chassis as an example (I think it's on a landcruiser chassis), plus a pretty neat job on my collegue's old Ford truck.
Going to pop in and see them today. :)

Marlin Coast Mechanical on facebook if anyone's interested but there's not much on there.

Back