Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Unread 6th November 2018, 01:11 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

If you keep original axles and good quality or better original boots then thete wont be any problem . aftermarkrt stuff wont hold at all.
Unread 6th November 2018, 01:31 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

I know with my wrx, I give my axles hell. Launch control 6000 rpm dumping of the clutch repeatedly over a 6 years of competition, and lots of handbrake turns and power out of those turns it must be hundreds of times. And they were second hand to start with. And I still haven’t killed one. It’s possible though unlikely anyone in an off road situation has been harder on cv joints and axles than me. So I see 2 possible explanations. One being the R180 axles are SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than r160 axles. The other being the increased ride height is the problem. In which case the problem is at least fixable
Unread 6th November 2018, 03:49 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2009
Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
bflan2001 is on a distinguished road

Yes itís the CV joints that wear out, and only on the front axles.

Iím super careful not to drive hard at full lock, I rarely will even hit the locks because I know that can be tough on already stressed axles. These are factory refurbished axles that I installed along with the lift kit, ball joints, control arms and tie rod ends only a few thousand miles ago. They do have a warranty so I guess thatís something, hopefully the next pair lasts longer than 5k.

If I could go back I would definitely go with a smaller lift, but the cost to change it out now is just not worth it. Iím better off swapping axles once or twice a year. I was told Iíd be fine at 2Ē but as you guys have said thatís more of a crapshoot than a sure thing. My approach and departure angles are good, I had a custom rear bumper made and am having a front done in a few weeks.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the advice!
Unread 6th November 2018, 04:19 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Try getting some sti axles, that’s what I use. They should fit your existing hubs, although you need may need to remove the abs ring as it might not be necessary. Then you might need some dumpy axles for the gearbox end.
Unread 6th November 2018, 08:33 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Is it the inner or outer CV joints that are wearing out?

If it's only the outer on the front I fail to see how the 2 inch lift can be to blame. If it was, both inner and outer should wear and the rear should be affected too.

There are plenty of Subarus getting around with a 2 inch lift that don't have problems with CV joints. I suspect that the problem is poor workmanship on the recon job and perhaps faulty CVs before that.

Rather than spend big dollars upgrading to STI axles and CVs I would be more inclined to fit some new genuine OEM CV joints.
Unread 6th November 2018, 11:45 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
There are plenty of Subarus getting around with a 2 inch lift that don't have problems with CV joints. I suspect that the problem is poor workmanship on the recon job and perhaps faulty CVs before that.

Rather than spend big dollars upgrading to STI axles and CVs I would be more inclined to fit some new genuine OEM CV joints.

I agree. I would keep trying to identify the primary cause. Try the Heuberger motors Subaru online store in CO, all parts are always 25% off and no tax. That's all I use. I just email them and get an ebay invoice when not sure about the part number.
Unread 7th November 2018, 01:04 AM
Forum Member

I’ve read that other people have had issues with the reman’ed axles from Subaru, hopefully that’s what happened to me. The rears aren’t an issue because I have the trailing arm spacers so the axles are at stock angles. It’s probably a combination of the lift kit, crappy reman job on the axles, and my slightly aggressive driving.

Just to clarify, I don’t mean that my axles are failing completely. In fact I suspect some people probably experience the same thing but just don’t notice it. The car still drives fine, it just has a very faint clunk once in a while and the tracking issue which is also pretty minor. But after going through 4-5 sets of axles in two different lifted Foresters, I’m pretty sensitive to the symptoms.
Unread 12th November 2018, 09:31 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

It's a shame I didn't see this earlier. As you can imagine this is something I get asked on a daily basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
If you keep original axles and good quality or better original boots then thete wont be any problem . aftermarkrt stuff wont hold at all.
This is spot on! OEM Subaru axles & OEM Subaru CV boots are the only way to go. Don't use aftermarket axles, they simply don't last, this is where you hear of people having issues.

Reman axles in the US apparently are outsourced & I don't recommend them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
Iím super careful not to drive hard at full lock, I rarely will even hit the locks because I know that can be tough on already stressed axles
I'm running 20 year old OEM axles that I've rebooted with OEM CV boots with 2.5" extra CV angles front & 3.5" rear. Still going strong & I abuse the hell out of them!!

Quote:
If I could go back I would definitely go with a smaller lift
Not needed. With a healthy car, 2" lift is totally reliable

Quote:
I was told Iíd be fine at 2Ē but as you guys have said thatís more of a crapshoot than a sure thing.
There's nothing "lucky" about it. It simply comes down to sticking to a few rules:

1. Use only OEM Subaru axles & OEM Subaru CV boots with quality CV grease
2. Make sure the transmission mounts are in good condition. Worn mounts or loose trans mount bolts are the #2 cause of CV issues
3. If you're still having issues, replace the mounts with HD mounts & HD mount inserts (see photo). This has saved several people I know who had been tearing their hear out with CV issues

The idea behind the mounts & insert is that as the transmission leans to one side under heavy acceleration, esp in 1st gear, it stretches the CV out plus puts it at a bigger angle. This causes vibrations & excessive wear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trans Mount Rallitek Insert 01.jpg (11.6 KB, 0 views)
Unread 12th November 2018, 04:21 PM
Forum Member

Thanks for the info, I guess my mistake was assuming OEM reman'ed axles from Subaru would be decent quality. When I saw the warranty I thought 'Oh great, they stand behind their product!' but now I'm realizing that they give the warranty because they have so many axles coming back with issues. I guess I'll just keep running these until they are completely shot and then spend a fortune on new OEM. Lesson learned!
Unread 12th November 2018, 06:45 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Yeah new OEM are shockingly expensive but no need to do that.
Find a set of OEM axles from a low km car at a wrecker (should slide in & out smoothly and have zero free play when twisting back & forth) & get the inner CV boots replaced with OEM Subaru CV boots & quality CV grease. That's what I've done, 20 year old 2nd hand axles still going strong!

The outer CV boots rarely go but check them anyway. The rubber goes hard & brittle with age (this is why original inner boots often crack soon after lifting). If they have 1000s of tiny little cracks, replace the outers too