• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Diaries of Sid V.

I think this is the correct forum for this. I will use this to document and share my plans and progress while building a capable camping adventure wagon.

Recap: Two days ago i ended up trading my 2012 suzuki S40 boulevard motorcycle for a lifted 1996 Legacy Outback (one in my profile) 300K miles. runs and drives. leaks a little. engine looks tired lol. But it has ADF components and sweet tires:discomonkey:. When i was doing the research i became intrigued and made the deal. I think the wagon is VERY unique and up until about a week ago i did not know that this is a thing.

I love camping:woohoo:, shooting:bananagunner: and off roading:rock:. i have a truck for off roading and that will not change. But i have been in need of a capable vehicle that doesn't get 13mpg when i go camping and shooting. so this is going to fulfill that need. with some money and effort i will try to make this reliable and fun. So i do not plan on hardcore off roading/rock crawling with Sid (if it happens it happens:iconwink:)

Offerup add
-Anderson Design 2” lift with trailing arm spacers
-General Grabber 215/75/15 AT2 tires with 99% tread
-Full sized matching spare
-CB radio
-Full size light bar
-Battery isolator installed(but not hooked up) so you can add a second battery in the back for running accessories
-Voltage meters installed to monitor both battery voltages
-all carpet was removed and floor sprayed with truck bed liner
-true snorkel w K&N air filter in the box(I’ve had this car up to the side mirrors in water many times!) IMO the snorkel is iffy at best, not fully sealed to airbox
-Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler all changed 10k miles ago
-Bluetooth radio with USB
-Huge full sized roof rack!
-Changed front Ujoint last year with serviceable joint
-Manual 5 speed trans!
-2.2l SC H4

Vehicle Backstory (according to to the seller): He has owned it for about two years. He did all the mods. while he and his friends were working on it, he found what he thought was a bunch of twist on electrical connectors. His friend informed him they were needle caps.
"maybe diabetes?" someone said optimistically... Nope, they found a burned spoon and a needle under the back panel. H:thumbsdown:
ANYWAY.
They nick named it Sid Vicious. (He also said He has had it with water up to the top of the doors driving across the river.)

So the name stays. My best friends sister had a lil dog name Sid Vicious that was actually a cool lil guy (i don't like most little dogs, and the feeling is mutual)

My Plan for Sid I most certainly plan on doing some camping, road trip, mountain biking adventures with this Sid.
First things first, the interior. WOW. there is oil (all kinds) in the trunk/hatch area, and it smells very bad.
there is also a film of filth on everything. plus dog hair, plus dust and dander and i dont want to know what else. last night and this morning i stripped the interior and degreased the entire floor pan. that was gross.:puke:

Next I am going to check the compression and see where this engine sits in that area.if its ok i may just do some basic matainence for now and drive the heck out of it. not too far though just in case. but ill get a "low miles" 2.2 and fully build it up for reliability and longevity(maybe head studs, all gaskets and seals etc..). If the engine is on its last leg ill just throw one in for now and build another.

i will upload a few more photos soon.
its looking AND smelling much better already :p

Attachments

• 39264.jpg
    39264.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 109
In fact, I didn't know that the Outback BG existed with an EJ22 and thought that they were only released with the EJ25, my bad ! Or maybe is your Outback a modified Legacy ?

I too thought they were only 2.5; my Gen 1 Outback was 2.5. Unless it's had an engine swap in the past?

In fact, I didn't know that the Outback BG existed with an EJ22 and thought that they were only released with the EJ25, my bad ! Or maybe is your Outback a modified Legacy ?

And they are also both Legacy Outbacks lol

AUDM, EUDM, USDM... potayto, potarto

Yep, potayto, potarto....but it still is interesting to see that different markets got different versions of the same car.

RTT mounting brackets solved

I finished customizing some brackets to mount the RTT to the roof rails. Unfortunately the big company that makes these tents still says that they don't sell extra parts and maybe they can put something together??? Really. I expected more

Anyway. I am going to put it to the test this weekend as soon as i replace the mattress and get a ladder.

I also started to an experimental project. Going to. Ake my own 7-10 day ice conserving cooler, like the ones that rhyme with getty. This will be my ghetto yeti aka yhetto getty

Attachments

• 20181015_131550.jpg
    20181015_131550.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3
  • 20181016_073514.jpg
    20181016_073514.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
this morning I found this bit of info...
"1996: First year for the 'real' Outback. Also first year for the 2.5L engine, which in '96 runs on premium fuel and is only available with an automatic transmssion. The manual uses the 2.2L engine and has the hill holder clutch."
https://www.cars101.com/outback_archive95-97.html

and...
"1997: the Limited Outback was introduced. A sedan version, the Outback SUS (short for 'Sport Utility Sedan') was available in very small numbers in the New England area only. The 2.5L engine is tweaked for 1997 and has 10 more hp than the '96 plus runs on regular fuel, not premium. The manual tranmission now uses the 2.5L engine and the hill-holder clutch is discontinued. New separate door lock switch. All models have a non-functional 'hood scoop', it's just for looks."

My RTT has faux hardwood flooring now. :lol: :rotfl:
Taking out the old RTT mattress was fun lol see photo for an idea of what I'm talking about. The old mattress had to go, just the thought grosses me out. It is made of very stiff foam, witch I like to sleep on but it was hard to remove, took some elbow grease. The memory foam replacement is on the soft side so I decided to put some foam tiles under it to smooth out the imperfections of the hard fiberglass floor with its mounts and hardware. Found those "hardwood floor" style ones and had to have them.
Sunday night I:
- removed the old mattress,
- washed the mattress cover,
- cut and fit memory foam and fitted it into the cover.
- cut and fit "hardwood foam tiles.

Just need my ladder and it's ready for a test ride.

Attachments

• 20181028_195240.jpg
    20181028_195240.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181028_201541.jpg
    20181028_201541.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9
Love the 'flooring', good job.:thumbsup:

Back