Simple Peanut Butter

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Although this is not strictly 'camping food' i'm sure it's in many a portable fridge.
If you read the label on all the commercial peanut butter jars you will find they are made from local and/or imported products. Read into this, chinese grown peanuts. I avoid any foods grown in China as i just don't trust them to do the right thing so i make my own peanut butter from Australian peanuts and i love it.
Coles sell Australian salted peanuts in 750grm packets located in the fruit and veg displays. Coles seems to sell a much beeter range of Aussie stuff than Woolies.
I do this : Place 500gms salted peanuts in a food processor (or blender,but processor is best) add a slurp or two of Aussie extra vigin olive oil to get it going and blend until pretty smooth. That's it!!
It won't be quite as smooth as commercial stuff but at least i know what is in it!!
If you don't like salt then just rinse the peanuts and spread on a tray and place in the oven on a moderate heat and dry them.
I really use : 2/3 rds peanuts and 1/3 Aussie almonds with a good desertspoon of nice honey and my next batch will be 1/2 peanuts, 1/4 almonds and 1/4 Californian Walnuts (as i can't find Aussie walnuts.
I'm addicted now and think commercial stuff is just plain boring!
It takes me longer to clean up than make it.:raspberry:

Once you try it you won't go back to the dark side!!!:lol:
I always try to store anything in glass as i think it keeps better. I will only use plastic for dry goods and sometimes for travelling.

Not really in to peanut butter but those 750g self branded bags at Coles I've found to be good quality nuts.

If you go to a large health food store you can get organic peanuts and they often have a machine there for turning them into crunchy or smooth peanut paste. Yum!

Back