coolant temp and crank sensor wiring colors . ?

turbo1600

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
outback
Transmission
auto
hi, managed to completely pull out and break the wires goin to the coolant and crank angle sensors on my 1998 outback 2.5 dohc........

i`ve looked around and i could only find referance to a orange and blue wire and white an blue wire etc...

but non of these colors match my wiring,.

the coolant wire colors are black and black with a yellow ? ( or white ) stripe , these wires still have the terminals on them, but have pulled out the plug.

and the crank angle wire colors are black and white . ( i`ve done a repair on these wires.)

does anybody know which colored wires go where on both of the plugs ?

thanks,...

Last edited:
Are you sure the coolant sensor only has 2 wires going to it? The crank angle wires go to the ECU.

hi, yes if definately has only 2 wires goin to it. i know that some may possibly have 3 .

i know the crank angle wires go to the ecu.
BUT i need to know where the colored wires go into each plug .

I don't think it matters if there are only 2 wires for the crank angle sensor. I believe, but not 100% certain, they can go either way

Welcome aboard t1600.

Unfortunately can't help with positioning of the wires within the plug from my old Haynes manual (but I did confirm the number of wires and colour).

Thinking more about this, the Coolant temp sensor is a thermistor (temp sensitive resistor) so I believe the current can flow in either direction. Resistors do not have polarity so shouldn't matter which way the wires are connected.

Turbo,

doesn't sound right. Coolant is grounded to the block and one-wire in.

Hard to see - but that second picture, the dirty white/clear plug looks like coolant to me, and matches with the single spade connector sticking out.

Easiest way to be sure, if you have a wiring diagram, is to trace back to the first plug, or the SMJ.

Ah ok - there are two sensors.

Single wire for the gauge, 3-wire for the ECU (the brown socket)

The wiring diagram I have (which is 1998+ AUDM BE/BH. But you say 1998 DOHC, which makes me suspect you've got a late BG), says plug E8 is triangular, light grey.

Pins 1-2-3 clockwise from top left. Point of triangle down.
1 - BY
2 - WG
3 - BR

Crank sensor is Yellow (pin 1) and Orange.
Cam sensor is Black (pin 1) and White -- sure you're not confusing the two?

Dunno if any of that helps..

Turbo,

doesn't sound right. Coolant is grounded to the block and one-wire in.

Hard to see - but that second picture, the dirty white/clear plug looks like coolant to me, and matches with the single spade connector sticking out.

Easiest way to be sure, if you have a wiring diagram, is to trace back to the first plug, or the SMJ.

right , the sensor for the temperature gauge is a SINGLE wire sensor.this sends signal to the gauge ONLY.

the coolant sensor is for the ecu and is a two wire one. and this only sends temp info to the ecu only.

Just to distinguish between the two, I believe the one for the temp gauge is called a "sender" and the one for the ECU is called a "sensor".

Ah ok - there are two sensors.

Single wire for the gauge, 3-wire for the ECU (the brown socket)

The wiring diagram I have (which is 1998+ AUDM BE/BH. But you say 1998 DOHC, which makes me suspect you've got a late BG), says plug E8 is triangular, light grey.

Pins 1-2-3 clockwise from top left. Point of triangle down.
1 - BY
2 - WG
3 - BR

Crank sensor is Yellow (pin 1) and Orange.
Cam sensor is Black (pin 1) and White -- sure you're not confusing the two?

Dunno if any of that helps..

hi, as stated before its a TWO wire coolant sensor .: see here : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coolant...343040?hash=item4657c69600:g:uhUAAOSwx2dYEdos

which is why I said 'dunno if this helps'.

Do you have a late-model BG?

either way - find yourself a wiring diagram, or try googling. Lots of images of coolant sensors.

As noted above, its most likely just a thermistor and doesn't care which way its wired.

Back