OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Under the Bonnet/Hood

Notices

Old 6th July 2018, 05:58 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the interesting responses. I'm a bit confused by all the engine numbers. I have no idea what they all mean. Let's say, for argument's sake, I have an SH with NA 2.5 (timing belt, not timing chain). Which engine is that? If I want to boost it, will the fact the vehicle has an auto trans be a problem?

The conversion I looked at seemed very simple. The unit fitted in the space the air cleaner box would normally occupy and I was told it had a front-mount water to air intercooler fitted. The kit is from a supplier in Nth Qld and specifically designed for a Subaru engine.

My interest in this is piqued because it's a simple matter to return everything to standard if needed and the conversion seems to me to be much simpler than turbocharging.
Old 6th July 2018, 06:14 AM

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Yeah @Beachworm - the ease of returning to factory is one reason for this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
One of the supercharger manufacturer/distributors I contacted specifically told me not to supercharge my NA engine.
Your not talking to the right supercharger ppl :P I bet when ARB told you a locker in a Subaru won't happen you listened to them too. Oh, wait a minute...

It's doable. The issue come in when ppl try to boost beyond what a stock NA engine can physically handle. The cast alloy pistons don't do much beyond 7 psi (it seems to be the magic safe number for boosted NA subi engines) other than melt.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 6th July 2018, 06:38 AM

Year: 98
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

please delete

Last edited by 1WD Foz; 6th July 2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: sorry
Old 6th July 2018, 07:03 AM

Year: 98
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Superchargers have their place off-road and in the subi world in my opinion. They're just not as common as the turbo setups.

Two ways to do it:

- buy an off the shelf kit such as one from Raptor. This comes with all the supporting parts including the ECU piggy backs to make it run correctly.

- DIY your own setup with an appropriately sized charger of choice. A mate of mine supercharged his ej22e (Subarino). He used a Toyota SC14 charger running 6-7psi with a WAIC kit to keep air temps down.
It was a great setup for off-roading, boost coming on straight from idle. Best bit was that you could turn it off when you didn't need the extra power.

There are other chargers that can be used on NA Subaru engines without long term damage to the engine when done right.

So they're out there, can be loads cheaper than a turbo conversion or can be a quick conversion turn around without having to stuff around with exhaust and major wiring changes.

For off-roading I'd want a charger over a turbo - and one that can be turned on and off as needed

If you frequent the high country for off-roading a charger is more effective over a turbo, especially a large turbo...

Cheers

Bennie
+1 to all of this ^^^

It just seems more practical
I wonder how much a low boost s/c setup would cost for a ej22 or ej25 these days
and what sort of gains could be had?

Heres a couple video's of a supercharged EJ25's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQXVk02WKh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brxKZYHlSRY
^^ this guy did a build thread for his s/c build

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t92852...d-diy-how.html

This is also regarding his 2.5 s/c build: https://www.ludicrous-speed.com/wiki...C_Build_Part_1

And here is a running build cost sheet he's made public:
https://www.ludicrous-speed.com/wiki...RSC_Build_Cost

And heres a charged EJ22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgv65n5H1Fo

Very Interesting thread, subscribed.

1WD
Old 6th July 2018, 07:03 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Yeah @Beachworm - the ease of returning to factory is one reason for this mod.

Your not talking to the right supercharger ppl :P I bet when ARB told you a locker in a Subaru won't happen you listened to them too. Oh, wait a minute...

It's doable. The issue come in when ppl try to boost beyond what a stock NA engine can physically handle. The cast alloy pistons don't do much beyond 7 psi (it seems to be the magic safe number for boosted NA subi engines) other than melt.

Cheers

Bennie
ARB wouldnít even talk to us, this guy did. He does them for other Subarus, but said my engine wasnít suitable.

Donít forget that putting a blower on any well used engine could well be the kiss of death for it
Old 6th July 2018, 08:01 AM

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Donít forget that putting a blower on any well used engine could well be the kiss of death for it
Yes this is true. And a risk that should already be calculated before the charger is fitted. Even better would be to drop forged pistons and a new set of rings in if pushing a little harder than low boost.

It'd be interesting to see how a turbo setup converted to SC would go in terms of fuel mapping with boost in the lower revs. Then you'd have Subaru's engine that's designed for boost with the charger...

I guess there are mobs out there that don't want to touch an engine that they're not confident will work with what they want to achieve for their customer.

As for ARB... Well, our subi's are too small to add a tonne of unnecessary accessories to at a price that requires a platinum credit card. They're nothing but arrogant because they've already got such a large market out there. Imagine their market expansion if they included makes and models such as the subaru outback and forester...

Cheers

Bennie