MiddleAgeSubie

Forum Member
Car Year
2018 / 2008
Car Model
4Runner / Tribeca
Transmission
5EAT
I sent an email to Suba X a few months ago but never heard back.

I am currently thinking about a trail rig in addition to the OB or maybe just renting Wranglers in Moab (the most sensible but also most boring option). If I go with the former, the OB is done, except for maintenance. If I go the latter route, I may get the bumper. I will take a year or so anyway but I want to know...I always want to know! Btw, if you have not been to Moab, spare me the "mod the Subaru and drive it" comments. I have fully completed 29 trails there in the OB, so I know what can be done and what is too much.

First, what is the weight of the bullbar? If I ever go this route, I will only take the bumper, without the added protection, but any number will do. Does it reduce ground clearance at the skid plate in the front? I have no interest in stiffer springs up front though if I do not go for a trail rig, that could be an option for the rear.

Second, what happens to the factory recovery point on vehicles equipped with the eye bolt?

Third, has anyone actually measured their AA with the bumper? If so, what lift and tire size?

My Subaxtreme bar (SG Forester) was about 22KG, Not sure what happens to the tie down points, as mine remained when installing the bar, there are a couple of posts in here with the AA with the bars on, the approach angle is greatly improved on my SG at least

Before Subaxtreme Bar
IMG_2908.jpg

After Subaxtreme Bar
IMG_4878.jpg

Thanks!

The weight seems reasonable, especially if the bull bar component is removed.

I do not think that yours has the eye bolt and associated recovery point. Does it?

Note that it isn't a recovery point, but a tie down point :iconwink:

Mine has tie down points welded onto the subframe either side of the sumpguard. Give Subaxtreme a ring, or a Message on their Facebook (they are quite responsive on there) and they should be able to answer your questions

Yeah, I might do Facebook.

Since my model has an actual recovery point that works very well, I would not want to see it deleted.

The SubaXtreme bar on my series II Forester weighs about 21 kgs more than the OEM bar (I would have to check the exact extra weight). Mine has the hoops above the bar proper.

It improves the approach angle a bit, but makes the nose hugely more robust.

The big surprise was that it improves the handling when going hard into uneven corners on our fairly rough country roads. So much so that my photography friend who does quite a few kilometres with me on expeditions commented on it without my mentioning it! I cannot say whether it would affect an Outback the same way.

MAS a member of the Subaru 4wd Club of Victoria had an SH forester with a SuaXtreme Bullbars. The SH has an eyebolt similar to the Outback. The Bullbar had a cut out for the eyebolt to go through (and it got plenty of use!!).
The Bullbar generally improves the approach angle.

Back