Mathew

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
Hi Everyone,

Just setting up my 04 Forester for Fraser later this year and just asking if there are advantages to a roof basket such as a Yakima Loadwarrior or the cheaper mesh basket?

Obviously I would like to keep the weight down, but also would like to keep any wind noise down as well.

Would the cheaper mesh basket do the same job as the Yakima?

Cheers

I have a range of roof top carriers -

Thule 900 pod for my Subie is very useful and keeps things out of the environment;

A mesh basket from Rhino Rack where the raised edges helps containment of gear but not versatile if you want to carry something a little larger than the basket;

A flat Rhino Rack mesh platform - this is the most versatile and sits permanently on the Triton.

At times I have carried loose firewood on the mesh platform and used the mesh basket as a lid.

The only things that should go on the roof are surfboards. :)

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to work out what I am going to the surfboards! I guess something will have to give, and it might be the surfboards if I get the pod haha!

Do surfboards strap down OK to the basket? Have only secured them to roof racks.

[MENTION=114]Kevin[/MENTION], do you have the mesh basket or tray and does it sit permanently on top of the cabin on your Triton? Cheers.

haven't noticed any excessive noise with a Rhino basket.

Although that toy spoiler on a Yakima looks the goods, there's still a big cavity behind it when the rack is empty, and a big arsed-load when you have stuff in there.

ie: 2/5ths of f' all.

Just stack your rack carefully - I tend to put half a tarp down, load up, then fold the tarp over the front to provide a clean load to the wind, and keep things dry(er).

[MENTION=15881]ABFoz[/MENTION]

Yes, the mesh tray sits permanently mounted on the Triton cabin roof. The mesh basket used to be there but for my extended trips it wasn't quite wide enough to fit a spare wheel and a Pelican cargo box side by side. As well, it's easier to load and unload the spare off a flat surface; it's surprising how heavy and awkward a 17" wheel with a big fat mud tyre is when you try a lift it onto the roof!

Hi, thanks for all the feedback. Never thought about that space behind the wind deflector, thanks for pointing that out!

Might go for a basic mesh cage from Supercheap or the weckers!

I used a Thule luggage pod last time I went to Fraser Island and it is great for keeping things out of the rain and out of the car.

I now have a Rhino Rack Pioneer tray and it is great for attachments. However, I can't use the pod now unless I take the tray off and I haven't had time to figure out how to do that yet.

I am thinking of getting one of the Rhino Rack luggage bags that will attach to the tray. That should give me the best of both worlds.

I have a 1200x900 Repco roof basket. I carry in it spare tyre, shovel, two 20 ltr steel jerries, 2 kg gas cylinder and treds.
I have a steel tube kayak rack that bolts on top of the basket so I am sure you could make a rack for your surf boards.
You just need to be mindful of weight.
When the rack is empty I fit a rubber tube to the front top edge and it stops any wind noise.

Ended up getting a Rhino basket and a Rhino soft/waterproof bag online for a pretty good price so will see how that goes! Just got back from a trip to coffs and it worked good and fuel consumption was not as bad as I thought! Went with the basket over the pod as the surfboards can go on top a lot easier :)

Back