• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Any opinion on BFG KO2?

I completely disagree with this statement, although I can’t stand up for all Geo a/t’s.... I can say this:
I’ve had GO15’s for 60,000ks (about 1.5years) and they are amazing on road, I can say with experience that they have amazing stopping performance as I would have hit many Roos in the past if they weren’t, and the grip in corners for an A/T Tyre surprised me, I drive very very spirited at times and have never lost traction due to the geo’s inability to handle hard cornering. And the Offroad capabilities are fantastic!
I would highly recommend GO15’s for anyone who wants a good on and Offroad blend but does manly on road driving as 80% of my experience with this Tyre is on road.

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it is a good tire. But I did read two comments by people complaining of its cornering, which sounded eerily familiar. So far, I have not seen it gain much traction on the forums I frequent.

I had a good conversation with a mate of mine. They have just concluded doing a test costing $100,000 of off road tyres. Some things to consider. They couldn’t test every tyre on the market! Secondly, they couldn’t accurately or scientifically test the tyres off road. Too many variables I imagine once the track was damaged.

On road, the mud terrains were, unsurprisingly, noisy and hopeless. They were also the heaviest tyres with the thickest sidewalls.

With the all terrains, KO2’s were easily the worst along with the Toyo Open Roads. The tyres with the thickest sidewalls were generally the worst on road. Many all terrain tyres were basically road tyres with a different tread. I found that telling and confirmed my own views of thinned wall all terrain tyres and why they puncture so easily. Yokohama ATS for example. He basically said the reason these types of tyres performed like a road tyre was because that’s what they are, with a different tread.

It’s a pity the test didn’t include off road, but it did confirm that this idea of that all all terrain tyres are similar is nonsense. Some are fair dinkum all terrain tyres from the start, and others are just a cheap cut and shut. My words not his. Obviously there are differences in tread patterns, so performance there would vary enormously as well. And while he said the off road tyres are designed to clear mud (He’s an avid off roader himself) it accepted my point it depends on the mud as well

With regards pressures he noted many people ignore the load they are carrying, as that and speed play a vital role in determining pressure.

I think they just wasted $100K; next time tell him to give it to me and I will write the report! :lol: (If its' a report I read recently I was not at all impressed by it.)

We all know that muddies are not going to perform well on-road, although I have no complaints about my BFG muddies on the Triton and they feel just fine on the twisties of Bells Line of Rd in AWD for example. I'm not trying to defend them but I can travel that road at a cracking pace.

The old Yokos were terrible where I experienced 6 sidewalls damaged before I swapped to BFG AT. The GO15s are better I believe.

I agree I could have spent the money better, and it wouldn’t involve tyres! I don’t think the report has been published or if it ever will be. I don’t know who paid for it or the purpose and I didn’t ask. But he does have considerable experience in car and tyre evaluation. I can’t say more as I don’t wish to identify him. I do value and respect his opinion. Bear in mind I tried to remember the things he said that were relevant for discussion here and the other things which while interesting weren’t so relevant here.

Secondly, they couldn’t accurately or scientifically test the tyres off road.

Huh? They tested offroad tyres...not offroad??? Ummm yeah ok :huh:

On road, the mud terrains were, unsurprisingly, noisy and hopeless. They were also the heaviest tyres with the thickest sidewalls.

That's not much help. Which muddies & how did they perform offroad?

With the all terrains, KO2’s were easily the worst along with the Toyo Open Roads.

BFG KO2s would have to be the BEST of the all terrains on muddy or rocky tracks. This "$100,000 test" is highly suspicious

I think you're confused with the Toyo Open Roads, do you mean Open Country? Which one, HTs or ATs?
The ATs are becoming very popular for those wanting a tyre with good onroad handling but still good offroad

it did confirm that this idea of that all all terrain tyres are similar is nonsense.

I've never heard anyone say that. I mean, not ever

I would be interested in reading this report, if there is one, but I doubt it would have much relevance for offroad tyres if they weren't tested offroad!

Typo on the amount spent. Should be about a tenth of that

You may be right regarding confusion of the Toyos. My apologies if so. They were all terrains.

I do. People tell me all the time I should put all terrains on. And others as well, as if they are much of a muchness.

BFG K02’s will be my next choice of Tyre as I want something a little more aggressive for my Offroad ventures, and so far I’ve heard nothing but great feedback from so many people using them, but I will be most definitely keeping my GO15’s for everyday use as they still have plenty of meat left on them.

Cheers

1WD

^ you won't go wrong with them. The bite they have offroad is great. I'm remembering when I first put the KO1s on and did some rock climbing; the grip was vastly improved over the older Yokos and wherever I pointed the car it just went.

I am wondering what the criteria were that led to the conclusion that BFG and Toyo were the worst. Worst at what?

On road performance. Things like braking distance. I think the on road performance of off road tyres is very important. After all, these tyres will spend most of their life on road. And while I drive differently with the AT’s than the road tyres, it’s good to know just what the real, measurable differences there are between these tyres. If in the wet on the highway the difference in stopping distances is say 10 metres, then that’s the difference between life and death. My own view is that I need to know that to make an informed decision. Otherwise I’m just guessing. Once you know the difference in on road performance, you can then look at whatever advantages you feel the all terrain tyre has off road and decide if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

As I said, I think it’s significant that it was found some all terrain tyres are just road tyres with different tread. I have no doubt many people just assumed that the sidewalls were stronger. I remember various discussions on line when people dismissed my own observations that my road tyres had thicker sidewalls than the Geolander ATS and some other all terrain tyres. In that respect, this test does have significant information for off road use.

wonder why they not just using city tires in Dakar race. or other not rally bot more offroad races, or why no overlander uses city tires. because they value how long they will be goind without puncture. people did test it on their cars for years and years allready long time ago using them in harsh roads, because different from your yard or local forest overlanders actually drive their cars thousands km's on roads and offroads. that waht i believe in. not some local offroader . when i did my eyro trip about 5500km's without spare tire on KO2 i thought thats best tires for high speed roads that i was going in heavy rain ,or later very high heat. i just felt im in control all times really. there is huge difference in tires. but maybe not in your back yard.

We do not need to keep revisiting the on-road tyre versus off-road tyre topic over and over again. Please stay on topic else I will have to start moving and/or deleting posts.

Thanks

BFG K02’s will be my next choice of Tyre as I want something a little more aggressive for my Offroad ventures, and so far I’ve heard nothing but great feedback from so many people using them, but I will be most definitely keeping my GO15’s for everyday use as they still have plenty of meat left on them.

Cheers

1WD

That's about what I had for 2 years: KO2 for trips and the aging ATS for town.

It should work out fine with dedicated Offroad tyres as long as I can be bothered swapping them lol
And if this R160 lunchbox locker ends up happening, mixed with good Offroad tyres I’ll be doing quite well for myself.

Cheers

1WD

K0s or K0s are proper off-road tyres. In the overlanding world where many would drive at least 70% of the mileage of the tyres off road, users would just default to the BFGs. Some would complain over wet braking and traction but it I am not sure how they drive their vehicles. Only a few people I know properly shift the vehicle's weight when cornering and those that I know usually have a track/racing/rallying background.

In the size that I am using, the BFGs are at least 4kg heavier than my G015s and the compound that they use is much harder but is also very competent with off-road abuse. They can be a bit too stiff for our lightweight vehicle but it really depends on the driver. Some find it just a bit stiffer but others find it really truck-like.

The D697s (LT), which are not sold in the US, are also the go-to of many offroaders here as they have somewhat good puncture resistance now and they can be bought for almost the same price as the G015s. I just didn't go with them because I am only doing 5% off-road, for now.

If I can get 100,000km out of the set, I will be a very happy chap. If I will migrate to the South Island, which has an awful lot of tracks, I may consider the K02s but I won't mind putting G015s as I like how they handle on the black top, as most nasty drivers operate on it and I want to have at least a good compromise on the handling. Cheers.

Back