OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Recovery Gear and Offroad Driving Tips

Notices

Unread 31st July 2018, 02:10 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Yeah, not sure about Australia due to the incredible distances. Last year I bought an InReach Explorer with a basic plan, so that I can have two-way communication with friends in case something happens. It also has an emergency function. I have only used it to tell wife all is good when we were in the most remote area of the lower 48 in May with the kids. But it feels good to have it.

The main precaution I have used since day 1 has been vehicle choice. I knew the B9 Tribeca was a mediocre offroader, but I also knew it would not fail me for no fault of mine. Nor did I imagine I would be doing much offroad. Then came the H6 5 EAT bullet-proof Outback and then the 4Runner, which is second only to the Land Cruiser in terms of service life expectation (in the US). I cannot get a Jeep or a Land Rover as a solo traveler until those brands make strides in the reliability department.
Unread 31st July 2018, 02:22 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

I think going solo is problematic. On my first run I was fortunate to go with Kevin and another experienced off roader. I had 2 problems. No sump guard, which made me very cautious, and because it was down hill, no visibility of what my unprotected sump might hit. I was fortunate these guys knew what they were doing. On other occasions the people offering guidance when I was unable to see the track I was better off ignoring them.