Overheating when stationary or under load.

I'm not so sure why you're against the standard temp gauge.

Sure - it won't give you a number comparable to another car, but every driver knows instinctively where the 'right' spot is on the gauge for their car after driving it for a reasonable amount of time. When the thermostat and cooling system are working properly, it'll hover pretty close to this.

Anything significantly higher than that spot (eg: more than 1/4 of sweep) is overheating. Full stop.

I was only relaying what was passed to me by Boxer Service in Brendale, they looked after my XS for 10 years and I never had a problem with their service or advice.

That's what I'm currently using to read the temps. seems to average around 95-97, went up to 101 when stationary after driving for about 20 minutes, then 10 minutes stationary.
Temperature increases doing 80 in 5th, drops when I go back to fourth, so I guess the increase in tyre size and (and weight) is also playing a part.

Haven't done any 100kph runs recently, last time I did temp was sitting around 97-98 with 650Kg trailer (maybe less) and loaded car. Unfortunately I didin't have the obd connected when the temp gid shoot up according to the oem guage..

I suppose you've considered that the temp sender/sensor may be faulty too. It would probably be worth putting a new one in before a radiator change.

System has been flushed a couple of times. Radiator is only 20,000Kms old and from what I can see is pretty spottless. That's why I'm considering the thermostat.
I'm also wondering if putting some sort of engine cleaner through it would be beneficial to remove any build up of gunk that may have occured.

System has been flushed a couple of times. Radiator is only 20,000Kms old and from what I can see is pretty spottless. That's why I'm considering the thermostat.
I'm also wondering if putting some sort of engine cleaner through it would be beneficial to remove any build up of gunk that may have occured.

OK then. The radiator should be good unless you've got some North Qld bugs leaves and grass stuck in it. A new thermostat should be the next step though you can test it by removing and putting it in boiling water to see if it opens fully. If that's OK and the system is clean, about the only thing left if the sensor is working properly is the water pump.

Why are you still considering it a year later ?

A thermostat is less than $50. Just do it.

Last trip I got my ej22 upto ~120*C in the sand - all because when I flicked my rad fans from always on to ecu controlled the switch didn’t go past the off position...

Flicked the fans back on and within a minute or two the temp was back down to normal without any issues. No HG issues but in your case I wouldn’t rule it out, especially if the HGs haven’t been replaced.

Cheers

Bennie

Just replaced the thermostat, about 8degrees cooler now on average (but haven't driven far - will keep monitoring it)

Have found head gasket is leaking so that's next on the list, waiting on quote -estimated around $1,800.

No option to DIY the HG issue?

Cheers

Bennie

I stand corrected, took the car for a longer drive today. Temperature is taking quite a bit longer to get up there \, but it's still high in my opinion at 96 to 98 on highway (engine coolant temp reading via obdII)

Temperature drops quicker than it used to and to a lower temperature - but still about 92-93 when no load and coasting/decelerating

Cranking the heater still gets the temperature to go down fairly rapidly. Fortunately it's warming up considerably up here in the tropics, so the heater doesn't feel so hot.:banana::sadbanana::Bacon:

Back