OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Unread 15th September 2018, 10:53 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

@Ben_Up_North - I loved our roof top camper. It was a cheapie hard top clam shell unit, way better than the coffin style IMO. The James Broud (from memory) unit would've been good but waaaaay too expensive!
We moved back to a ground dwelling due to us developing a crawler... Seems they're generally infectious once one is married :/

@1wd_Foz - thanks mate. She's been around a bit that's for sure! Still plenty of life left in her yet, that's for sure!

I'm looking forward to the next trip. I've redesigned the rear cargo space to be more user friendly and reduce weight. A "special order" from bunnings is the current hold up on this build - and with a week and a half befor the trip I'm starting to sweat :/

I've also got a rear strut swap to do do now that I have the prado shocks :D

More on all of this later - probably after the trip!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 15th September 2018, 12:26 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

prado shocks. wow. do they fit just your year model ? iv heard about some tacoma , 4runner shocks that could be fitted on subaru. but they must be more harder as made for heavier car no ?
Unread 20th September 2018, 09:15 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
prado shocks. wow. do they fit just your year model ? iv heard about some tacoma , 4runner shocks that could be fitted on subaru. but they must be more harder as made for heavier car no ?
Yeah the prado shock should control bounce more when off-road. Looks like I'll be using the same Honda front springs in the rear on this shock. The prado springs are far too stiff looking for the weight of my rear end!

This shock/spring setup should be able to be fitted to your outback since you've got that funky multi link rear end - which I reckon gives the same amount of wheel travel as the L's swing arm arrangement.

To fit these I think I'll drop the 3 inch strut lift and will most likely need to make a bush for the lower mount to fit the L series shock bolt in snugly. I may need to shave the metal tube on the lower mount to fit into the swing arm 's mount. Time will tell on this one.

I might have to look into whether or not king springs have a listing for raised Honda springs

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 13th March 2019, 12:49 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1989
Model: L Series
Transmission: 5MT
ratters is on a distinguished road

Any update on the Prado shocks El_Freddo? I had no idea this was even a thing until just now, really keen to hear how they are!

I have King springs and KYB shocks all around but the rear still sucks to be honest, especially once you put any camping gear in the back she rides down low and I ripped a good chunk off a brand new rear A/T tyre once when I hit a decent bump on the beach with a loaded wagon and 4 people in it. The tyre touched the guard and sliced about 6" of tread off like a knife. Thankfully it didn't burst and is still going strong down to about 50% tread now.
Unread 14th March 2019, 07:30 AM
Forum Member

Hehehe... The prado shocks are still not in - I've had other priorities, plus summer would bake you if you spent more than 5 minutes outside! I'll get around to it some day!!

As for the king springs - I removed my rear ones for a set of standard front honda civic/prelude springs - from a late '80's model. They work well on the standard shock. I'm hoping the prado shocks add a bit more control over the rough stuff compared to the standard shock replacements (KYB gas).

I should add in here the rear cargo frame that I made for the last trip works a treat! It took some time and a lot of effort but the payoff was well worth it!

^ Once again, still got to finish off a few bits - add in some mesh section between the fridge and the kitchen cabinet section for the times I don't have the kitchen fitted. Even with that needed for daily use, this setup works awesome in ways we've only been able to imagine until now, and even then it's better than we ever expected!

I also added a shovel holder, lockable too and loads better than the ring steel with screw in holder setup!

I updated my bashplate and have already had to fix it up. I reckon it's better now after a small session on my new mig welder

The next mod I want to do is either make my own or source a "tradies roof rack" and make sure I can fit my spare and a jerry can face down side by side and fit between the two uprights. Then mount the awning off one side and the shovel holders from the other. My current one is just that little bit short in the width department and I don't want to cut it up either.

We'll see how long it takes me to do this mod too

And the latest action shot of Ruby Scoo :D

^ In the trip report but meh, I'm not tired of this image!!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 14th March 2019, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Great work there Bennie!
www.subaruclub.com.au
Unread 15th March 2019, 10:52 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

We won't get tired of that image, @El_Freddo. It's amazing how such a photo shot with a relatively high shutter speed can tell a lot about the car and the culture. Cheers.
Unread 16th March 2019, 01:31 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Forester with a EJ22
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

And there’s Matt and myself jaw dropped at your casual stroll up such a heavily rutted out and technical hill climb lol

I had so much fun, it was a great day out indeed

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
el_freddo, journal, ruby scoo