trailing arm spacer ?

turbo1600

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
outback
Transmission
auto
hi, slowly putting new sg forester struts with 2 inch strut spacers and 1 inch king springs in my `98 outback,.

for the rear i take it i will need at least 3 inch trailing arm spacers ? i`d say maybe bout 3.5 inch cause sg struts are slightly taller. any one help / confirm here on what spacing i need ?

also with the rear sway bar end links does any body know where i can get any adjustable ones that will fit ?

thanks, mark k

Can't help with the spacing. I imagine Whiteline will have adjustable endlinks.

The BG Outback already has higher trailing arm supports, if I remember correctly 15mm higher than Foresters. So 1" trailing arm spacers should do the work.

hi, ok, but i was fairly, kinda , certain that if you have two inch strut spacers you use two inch trailing arm spacers, ? e.g use TA spacers the same thickness as the height that you are increasing..

if the bg outback are 15mm higher , and using 1 inch spacers would be incorrect , wouldn`t it ? this would make a total of 35 mm for the trailing arm.

mark

Hey Mark, do you have the raised springs & spacers yet? That combination is too much for the front CVs. I would suggest either A) raised springs & 1" strut top spacers with 2" trailing arm spacers, or B) standard height springs with 2" strut top spacers.

The advantage of the 2nd option is they have camber & caster offset (at least mine do) so you will be able to get a decent wheel alignment & improved steering plus better suspension travel (raised springs reduce droop)

2'' Lift Kit SFSG 02

2'' TA Foz SFG 01

hi, ok, but i was fairly, kinda , certain that if you have two inch strut spacers you use two inch trailing arm spacers, ? e.g use TA spacers the same thickness as the height that you are increasing..

if the bg outback are 15mm higher , and using 1 inch spacers would be incorrect , wouldn`t it ? this would make a total of 35 mm for the trailing arm.

mark

35mm for the trailing arms should be ok with a 2" strut spacer and 1" King Springs.

On my Forester, I have normal trailing arm supports (15mm lower than Outback BG) and 1" trailing arm spacers with 3" strut lift but soon going back to 2" (HotBits coilovers)

Hey Mark, do you have the raised springs & spacers yet? That combination is too much for the front CVs. I would suggest either A) raised springs & 1" strut top spacers with 2" trailing arm spacers, or B) standard height springs with 2" strut top spacers.

The advantage of the 2nd option is they have camber & caster offset (at least mine do) so you will be able to get a decent wheel alignment & improved steering plus better suspension travel (raised springs reduce droop)

I would also do it the 2nd option like NachaLuva says unless you are always loaded.

Raised springs don't reduce droop but limit compression :iconwink:

Interesting note, NachaLuva. On my SG, I have 1" lift blocks in front, and 1.25" in rear, together with standard height King springs. In terms of lift and ride, this suits my needs fine. However, I never got any trailing arm spacers.

Do you know whether SubieLiftOz have any 1" trailing arm spacers (as opposed to 2" spacers, to match a 2" lift)?

Do you know whether SubieLiftOz have any 1" trailing arm spacers (as opposed to 2" spacers, to match a 2" lift)?

Yes I have 1" trailing arm spacers, PM me for details :)

Raised springs don't reduce droop but limit compression :iconwink:

Because the raised springs are already pushing the struts 35mm down at resting height, that means you lose that same 35mm from the maximum droop until the struts top out.

If you had strut piston top extensions you would get some of that back, until you reach the maximum droop of the suspension. But because you're starting at a lower point, your total droop from resting height will still be less than with stock springs

You're right NachaLuva, I was thinking about limiting full extension and mixed the words.

Yes I have 1" trailing arm spacers, PM me for details :)

Cool! :)

Now I just have to decide whether I want to bother with trailing arm spacers for my modest 1" lift. ;) (Having to do major work on engine right now, so budget is FUBAR already. :()

You're right NachaLuva, I was thinking about limiting full extension and mixed the words.

Let me get the terms straight then. "Droop" and "full extension" are the same then. And the opposite of that would be compression. Right?

Now I just have to decide whether I want to bother with trailing arm spacers for my modest 1" lift. ;) (Having to do major work on engine right now, so budget is FUBAR already. :()

Usually not needed unless you're running big tyres & need them centred

Let me get the terms straight then. "Droop" and "full extension" are the same then. And the opposite of that would be compression. Right?

Yep, that's pretty much spot on

I understand that droop is the rod travel from ride height to full extension and full extension is....full extension :biggrin:

But english is not my usual language...

Usually not needed unless you're running big tyres & need them centred

Thanks! That makes sense. I was looking at a sideways picture of the Forester that I took recently. My tires are Yoko Geo A-T/S in stock size, and it doesn't look too bad. Rear tire is slightly forward, and front tire is slightly towards back in wheel well. With the A-T/S, I've always had a bit of rubbing in front on full lock. But that's only noticeable when parallel parking, thus inconsequential. ;)

I understand that droop is the rod travel from ride height to full extension and full extension is....full extension :biggrin:

But english is not my usual language...

That's even more detailed an explanation. Now it all fits together. :)

Speaking of languages, I've been meaning to say it's cool to know there are a bunch of lifted Foresters around Geneva. I grew up in German-speaking Zurich, where there were a lot of Subarus. And my mother's family is from Lyon (thus French speaking). So we used to drive through Geneva a lot on our way between Zurich and Lyon. ;)

Does anyone have the trailing Arm drawings?
I have a 2.5" Custom strut spacer.
Planning on doing my own Trailing arm spacers to add bigger tires.

thanks, for the pics in that thread.

Is it possible to share more information?

I have a 2.5" strut increase, so how much will the trailing arm spacer will need to be? Kinda looks like 1.5"?:confused:

thanks.

Back