E-locker a Reality.

You are probably right about availability but the SVX axles give more angle, 30°+ versus 25°

but why we no see some cool videos of those foresters with lockers, LSD and stuff. would be interesting to see how they drive .

We're a bit shy :)

Heading away this long weekend. There is a particularly difficult track I want to try. Last time out, a 100 series with diff locker struggled to get up. With open rear diff, I had no chance and barely made it a few metres. Now that the rear and centre diffs are working properly, it will be an interesting challenge.

Make sure someone keepz that camera rolling!

With road tyres?

Of course. I hate punctures

interesting thing about lockers. subarus are popular cars in russia as well, but some renault duster appeared not so long tim ago and he allready have both front and rear lockers manufactured and sold for about $750 each. front one are auto and rear is hard 100% locker. and with those stuff dusters surely beating foresters *** there in any offroad. why subaru doesnt get any atenttion there? too hard to make lockers for them or what problem ? dusters are not better in offrad stock then forester , not bigger or anything but people now call them kinda real offroad cars because you can buy lockers for it. and that auto locker for front can even work with traction control , even better.
not just lockers , they have snorkels , winches , even 35-55mm special longer shocks from bilstein which cost just about $550 for all 4. i mean cmon. it just beats subaru ***.

interesting thing about lockers. subarus are popular cars in russia as well, but some renault duster appeared not so long tim ago and he allready have both front and rear lockers manufactured and sold for about $750 each..

lots of interchangeability going on with the Dacia/Renault duster.

Based on a shared Nissan platform - wouldn't be surprised if the drivetrain shares alot with Nissan and diffs come off a Nissan 4wd. A bit of googling says it shares the x-trail drivetrain.

ie: much larger / 'proper' 4wd customer base.

EDIT: here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSD-Differ...-X-Trail-TL8-gearbox-/302637511512?rmvSB=true
"LSD Differential For:Renault Duster(front),Nissan Qashqai, X-Trail (TL8 gearbox)"

As Rally has discovered in his long and exhaustive journey, the standard subaru R160 diff is just too small to fit a locker in. Other forms of R160 LSD work in the 'main' applications of Subies (rally, motocross etc), and the R180 is used on a very small proportion of the subaru population.

I can only speak for myself. To start with, the duster isn’t sold here, so I can rule that car out. I have other requirements from my car besides ultimate off road ability. It has to be reliable, it has to have decent on road ability and if needed overtake quickly. I doubt there are many road trains in Russia or anywhere else for that matter. There are plenty here and the quicker you can get past them the better. I never bought the Forrie thinking it was the best vehicle off road. I bought it because at the time it was the best compromise of many things, including on road vs off road. The better diffs have enhanced off road ability without affecting on road ability.

Next year, I will be taking the car on a 7,000 km outback trip. I am very confident the car will perform very well.

2, as always on such trips. Probably not as many as you do, but I won’t be running Geolanders so if past experience is anything to go by I should be fine

why he needs spare tires ? ohhh road tires haha. my ko2 didint even felt those 5.5k km that i did. what spare is ? lol

not this again (facepalm)

why he needs spare tires ? ohhh road tires haha. my ko2 didint even felt those 5.5k km that i did. what spare is ? lol
BFG KO2s are the perfect tyre for touring the outback. LT construction & chunky tread give good grip in mud & tough resistance to punctures

I had a look at the ko2. Definitely had a thick sidewall, except where it met with the tread. Here it thinned out noticeably although I think it would still be thicker than the Geolanders. The rest of the sidewall was probably double the thickness of the Geolanders. If I had issues with off road grip or punctures with my existing tyres, it would be worth a look. Fortunately, such is not the case. Next to it was a Maxxis tyre. It’s sidewall was noticeably thinner than the ko2.

Where will you go on trip? What places? I did just first so long trip in my life and if i could i would do it now every year. Its just amazing time and experience to know your car better too to learn more.

Travelling through the centre. Places such as the Oodnadatta Track and Plenty Hwy, innamincka, Birdsville, Cameron Corner. I don’t expect I will ever need to engage the diff locks.

Travelling through the centre. Places such as the Oodnadatta Track and Plenty Hwy, innamincka, Birdsville, Cameron Corner. I don’t expect I will ever need to engage the diff locks.

That's SVX country. :cool:

Back