Notices

Unread 8th December 2018, 01:08 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Legacy RS
Transmission: Manual
Bridgestone is on a distinguished road
Default Planning a Long Road Trip

The open road awaits

Road trips are as much about the journey as they are about the destination. The further we travel down the long stretch of highway, the more it clears our minds and sets us free of the trivial worries of our domestic life. Road trips are just simply good for the soul and this country calls out for them.

Although you want to embrace the unexpected and spontaneous, itís a good idea to have a loose plan in the back pocket. Here're a few things to keep in mind before you hit the road.

Set course

Set your route and stops along the way. Have an idea of when you'll reach your destination. Check your GPS and map to see where the stops are for sight seeing. It's always good to have an old traditional map in case your GPS lets you down.

If we're talking long road trips, which may have you driving for days, plan when you'll be passing towns and sleeping. Drive no more than 10 hours a day and book accommodation in advance, as you don't want to roll up to a town in the evening and find every camping site/motel with no vacancies for weary travellers. This can easily happen during summer school holidays.

Saddle-up

Start with a check list before piling everything in the back or on the roof. This will hopefully stop you from taking more than you need, especially if you're travelling with kids.

Pack the big items first like suitcases and boxes and get as many things into each one to save room. Then fill in the gaps between with other essentials. With wagons or SUVs, dont pack so high that it blocks your rear vision.

Keep things like shoes, coats, blankets, toys and snacks in easy reach, so you're not pulling out everything to find them. For a long road trip here are some essential you should make room for:
  • First aid kit
  • Torch
  • Map
  • USB mobile device charge
  • Lighters
  • Duct tape
  • Tyre pressure gauge
  • Jumper cables
  • Water
  • Toilet paper
  • Snacks
  • Emergency numbers

You're good to go. Make sure your car is

There are plenty of other memorable moments youíd enjoy looking back on, rather than having your car break-down by the side of the road between towns. So you need to make sure your car is up for the trip.

If you have any doubts about the reliability of parts of your car or find yourself nearing a due service, do yourself a big favour and book it in with your mechanic. Also, make sure your roadside assistance membership is up to date.

Here are the car essentials you need to check before hitting the long open road.
  • Fluid levels: Check brake, coolant, engine oil, clutch, transmission, power steering and water. You donít want to run dry of any of these vital fluids.
  • Coolant hoses: Ensure your hoses are in good condition and secure, with no coolant leaking. Check where they're joined and make sure they're tight and the rubber not brittle. If youíre heading into the outback, pack a spare radiator hose.
  • Belts: Check the tension on your belts and look for tears or loosening of belts. Itís not a bad thing to carry a spare fan belt so if it needs to be replaced, youíre not relying on a garage to have one for the make of your car.
  • Tyre pressure: Ensure your tyres including the spare are inflated to the vehicle manufacturerís specification for your journey. An under or over-inflated tyre can affect comfort, control and fuel economy. Read more about tyre pressure.
  • Lights: Check all your lights - headlights, high - beam, reverse, indicators and brake lights.
  • Spare keys: Itís not a bad idea to take the spare keys along. Youíll pat yourself on the back if ever you lose the original set.

Tyres are a biggie

One of the most important things to check before rolling out of the driveway is the condition of your tyres. Look for any cracks, tears or bulges in the sidewalls. Make sure you have sufficient tread on all tyres (including your spare) by looking for the tread indication bars found at regular intervals around the tyre.

If the tread pattern is equal to the tread bar, it means you only have the legal minimum of 1.6mm of tread left. When you consider most new tyres start with about 8-9mm of tread, itís probably a good idea to have them replaced. Especially when you consider the safety of all in the car depend on your tyres.

If thereís any question about the roadworthiness of your tyres, please consult an expert at your local Bridgestone store

Give yourself a break

Remember to give yourself a break at least every two to three hours or whenever you feel like it. If your driving along one of our long, straight stretches of highways, just be aware of mental fatigue. It can be easy to lose focus and concentration. If youíre feeling in any way that driving is becoming too much of a task, then give yourself a break.

Whatís your all time long road trip? Had any memorable mishaps along the way? Weíd like to hear them. Tell us in the comments below or join the conversation on Facebook.

LINKS:

Bridgestone Australia - www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/

Bridgestone Australia Facebook - www.facebook.com/BridgestoneAU
Unread 8th December 2018, 10:18 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Longest road trip: Adelaide to Cairns via Broken Hill, Bourke then Charleyville(?) can't remember, to Charters Towers, Townsville then Cairns.
Most memorable parts were: driving through Willy Willies between Broken Hill & Wilcannia, Kangaroos jumping into the side of the car (good old Hilux Wagon, didn't even dent it much) along the Tilpa - Bourke section, Getting the hell off the Developmental Roads when road trains were approaching, Driving through a lightning storm around Charters Towers, with numerous trees being hit by lightning and exploding around me, then crossing the Cardwell range on the old road.
awesome drive.
one of my most memorable long(ish) road trips was from Omeo to the Central Coast NSW. Got stuck in a car park near Mt Hotham at night for half an hour or so because of the fog. Didn't even know I'd driven into a car park it was that thick, driving about 15kms an hour if that. Almost had to change my pants when the line on the LHS of the road I'd been following turned at a right angle. That's when I discovered I was in a car park! Took quite a while to find my way back out.

Last edited by Ben Up North; 8th December 2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added some bits.
Unread 8th December 2018, 11:06 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Didn’t mention cable ties and fencing wire.

I’ve done a number of memorable road trips across the continent. Definitely don’t want to be doing too many 10 hour days, and I certainly don’t plan to do any. However, things happen out there and you adjust.

Also:

Beware Camry drivers and blokes wearing a hat in a ute driving down the road taking up both lanes.

Don’t feed the sharks or the crocodiles.

If a snake bites you, don’t just sit there accepting your fate. Bite the ******* back.
Unread 8th December 2018, 11:07 PM
Forum Member

oops, forgot about the swear filters
Unread 9th December 2018, 01:48 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2007
Model: Forester
Transmission: DR 5MT
SquiresSquire is on a distinguished road

Nah, if a snake bites you, don't move. Snake venom travels through your body with movement, best to stay still, and get medical help. All hospitals now stock 1 antivenom suitable for the 5 dangerous snakes in Australia
Unread 9th December 2018, 02:28 AM
Forum Member

Nah, if I’m going Down I’ll take the snake with me.......
Unread 9th December 2018, 05:46 AM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Fun fact: The only guaranteed way to identify any snake is to count their scales.