Hot engine - but not a head gasket!

Hilly

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual 5 Speed
Well, sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem. Cars got 105,000 km on it. After the 100,000 service I noticed the cooling fans kept coming on, and the temp gauge was moving a little (in the normal range). Previously it hadly ever budged.

Anyway, we had to go to Newcastle for a family affair (from Canberra). Hottest day since the service, and in Sydney the car started running hot, getting close to the red! Pulled over a few times and it would cool down, but then decided better get it checked - of course, this was on New Years, so not many options! I feared the worst (head gasket) as it sucked all the overflow coolant container back into the radiator when it cooled down, although the radiator was still prety full.

NRMA guy came to look, and he suggested pulling the thermostat out, jam it open, and see what happens. I was doubtful, but hopeful - so we dropped the fluid and did that (he saw the SubXtreme sump guard and was interested in how the vehicle went on tracks). He was right :surprised:. Damn thing must have been sticking shut. Got to Newcastle last night, before dark even! Off to the local Subaru dealer today for a new thermo and coolant.

Lucky escape I reckon.

Great escape, and what a helpful road service guy. In QLD they would just recommend a tow.

Too right about that, had a radiator split its tank while the wife was driving, called RACQ, an hour later the breakdown guy comes out, lifts the bonnet, says there is no coolant - call a tow truck. On the side of a major road, summer storm, no cover, dark. Another wait for an hour waiting for a tow truck. Tow truck depot less than 5kms away, still takes an hour for the truck to get there.
Get the car home, call the father in law, he puts a pressure test on it. The breakdown guy didn't even do this. Pull the radiator (not too easy on a commodore), put the new one in all good once again.

Back